1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Looking for sugesstions?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Beale, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

Hey all I am loving my pipes and all but am wanting to try a good quality Briar. I have decided to wait on my Churchwarden and go for a good pipe. I called my true B&M Saturday to talk to Larry. He is a pipe man for sure.

I told him my price range $80.00 or so? He recomended the Savinelli Champagne Series?

I am just looking for endorsments or other pipes in that range? Thanks in advance, Beale.

2. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Beale,

I have three briars that have smoked quite well for me (keep in mind I am fairly new to this art). All of which were priced at $80 or under. Two were purchased online and one at my local B & M. I have a Karl Erik, a Stanwell, and a Bjarne. I would recommend any one of them to you as decent quality briars and an affordable smoke. Hope this helps you on your quest! :)

Beale likes this.
  3. Beale

Beale Active Member

Oh I forgot? I prefer a Bent and non rustic finish, Beale.

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Savinelli's are great pipes and Larry will not steer you wrong! Go check them out for yourself!

Beale likes this.
  5. Beale

Beale Active Member

@ Marc I have on line? He does not have them in stock? I just need to give him thr #pipe I like? Beale.

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

Have you browsed his pipes in the case? JR's usually has Savinelli's in their pipe cases also at very reasonable prices, to me, there's nothing like holding a pipe before you by it and giving it the once over, although I have ordered online before and recieved very nice pipes in the mail.

7. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

What about a Peterson?...not sure about prices over there.....but here - ones well within your budget.
    OT

9. snowman

snowman Member

I agree with, OT. Peterson has a large range to choose from. Also, Sav and Stanwell all in the smooth bent style.Check out, Cup O Joes web sight.

Alan.

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Falconeer...oh Falconeer....wherefore art thou Falconeer? :)

11. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! It will be a while so I have time to ponder and look and hold, Beale.

12. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Here's another nudge for Petes. I picked up a Kapet fishtail for less than $50 last year from smokingpipes.com and it's such a fine smoker I dedicated it to Navy Cavendish. I feel I got excellent value for my money.

13. Redone

Redone Member

I have one of those in a bent rustic, they are great pipes and look like they cost 2x more than you paid for it ;)

14. Beale

Beale Active Member

On the Peterson's did it take long to get used to the P-Lip? I also see they have ones with no P? beale.

15. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

My Kapet is the regular style (no P-Lip) and works well with the Softee bits I use. Opinion on the P-Lip seems pretty evenly split from what I've seen.

16. snowman

snowman Member

I'm a peterson smoker and I have both fish tail and p-lips.The p-lip might take a little time to get used to it but once you do I think you will enjoy it.Some pipe smokers think its a pain trying to get a fluffy pipe cleaner through the p-lip.But just take your time and its fine.

Alan.

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

+1 on the Pete's! For $80 you could get one of their Aran, Shannon, Killarney, Rock of Cashel (rusticated), Kapet (rusticated), or Donegal (rusticated) lines. The Donegals and Arans are especially great values, and are priced in the $65 to $75 range. I kind of prefer the P-Lips because they make for a cooler smoke, and it only took me a bowl or two to get used to them.

18. Zfog

Zfog Member

I'm gonna cast a vote for a Nording. I have 2 that were in your price range. Niether are freehands either.

19. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

I just took delivery of my first Savinelli today and it is a beautiful pipe that smokes brilliantly thus far.. 80$ puts you in the range of a lot pipe makers though.. i see petersons are mentioned and the one i have is excellent.. only issue i have with it is that the dry system, while providing an excellent smoke, sorta gets raw and needs a couple days rest to be back up to brilliance.

I dont know much about the Savinelli champagne series, but the Piazza straight apple rustic i got today has taken the place of my peterson as my favourite pipe.

20. Marc

Marc Active Member

Savinelli uses aged Corsican and Sardinian briar for their pipes, I have owned many Savinelli pipes in my lifetime and can honestly say I have never had a bad smoking or bad tasting Savinelli pipe, always a sweet smoke from mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.