Looking for tabacco like LL 1Q

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Joe333x, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Let me start of with a small intro, I just got into pipe smoking, always liked cigar smoking and didnt always want to have to commit to smoking a whole cigar and I always enjoyed the smell of others smoking a pipe. So I decided to try it, so far I have tried a smoke shop blend called Pirates Rum (which is ok, its getting better now that I've let it dry out a bit), I've also tried Capt. Black Cherry, H&H Carmel Apple Pie, and LL 1Q. So far I have taking a real liking to the 1Q so much that I dont really care to touch any of the rest, especially the Capt. Black, I dont think I'll ever buy a pouch tobacco again. I also dont want to become a 1 tobacco guy so I'm looking for advice on other tobacco that are like 1q that I might enjoy. I was contemplating placing an order for an once of each of LLs different types of tobacco and just give each a try since I already like one of their blends but before placing an order I figured it would be a good idea to come here for some advice. I'm smoking out of a Brigham's Mountaineer 336 if it matters.

2. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

I always thought that Captain Black Royal (blue pouch) was fairly close to 1Q. My local shop has a blend called 24karat that is similar also, athougb I don't know how widely available that blend is.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Try Lane's RLP-6 and MV-1000. Both are variations on the 1Q theme. You might also give BCA a try - same theme.

Then again, there's nothing wrong with being a one tobacco guy if that's what you like.

JRobert likes this.
  4. Morse

Morse Active Member

Welcome to the forum. Rest assured that there are plenty of pipe smokers who smoke just 1 tobacco and many who have made 1q that tobacco. That said MacBaren 7 Seas Royal is similar to 1Q and very reasonable in bulk - about $20 a pound at sp.com

5. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I think McClelland has an aromatic called T-Q or something similar that is very close to 1-Q.

Morse likes this.
  6. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

For me I find that Boswells--"Best"---is VERY--VERY --VERY close to Lanes' 1-Q.

7. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I was a diehard 1Q/Captain Black Royal guy for a while, still am on occasion. BCA was another Lane blend I smoked a ton of, although I actually like Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish better for the money. I also really, *really* enjoyed McClelland TQ and it was my "one blend" for a while until I began exploring English blends. It's a better blend for me in many ways, better tobacco taste and more interesting flavors - maple and caramel are definitely in there in addition to the vanilla and chocolate. Beautiful cavendish toby. I also want to try MacB's 7 Seas Royal and 7 Seas Black, Smoking Pipes has a great bulk price on them like Morse mentioned.

BUT- before you commit to anything, give Boswell's a try. Christmas Cookie, Boswell's Best, Piper's Pleasure, No Bite DeLite, Paradise, and Vanilla Cream. Or literally ANY of the Boswell blends. They are magnificent and very affordable. You will NOT find a better aromatic for your dollar.

8. Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Thanks for all the recommendations! Looks like I have a decent order to place soon.

9. Capt

Capt Active Member

Try Pipes and Cigars Trout Stream, or Nording's Retriever.

10. Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Is there any where to buy Boswell's online? Do I really have to call to place an order? Talk about taking you back in time lol.

11. Leonard W

Leonard W Member

You might consider some of the Peter Stokkebye blends (full disclosure: I'm the brand manager for Lane and Stokkebye). The PS portfolio has over twenty aromatics.

12. Morse

Morse Active Member

That's the way they do it - it's an old school kind of place :)

PipeWife likes this.
  13. Morse

Morse Active Member

Welcome aboard Leonard

14. Capt

Capt Active Member

So tell us why such a shortage of Twist Flake and Bullseye! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.