1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking to buy a Meerschaum....

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by davidmackv, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I would like to buy a nice Meerschaum and stay under the 150 price. What brand or type would you all recommend? I would like a nice carved one, are there certain companies or artists I should look for? I know "Well" known artists are going to be a lot more than my budget, but I am sure there are some very good artists out there just getting started.

2. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

3. Dilworth

Dilworth New Member

This website is the best I've found online. I think you'll find tons of pipes to meet your price range. I've also found them to have the best selection of shapes and styles. You can even buy churchwarden meerschaums, which is the only place I've ever seen them. Judging by your avatar that might be up your alley. The other great thing is that they have classic shapes without a ton of ornamentation. They are constantly adding pipes to their selection. Anyway, check em out.

http://AltinokMeerschaumPipes.com/

4. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I have heard really good things about Altinok. The only reason I do not own one, or a few to be honest, is the shipping. What I need to do is save up and get a few at a time, but I really do not need to spend 500 on two pipes....

I went with IMP and have been pleased. One was a gift the other I bought myself. Both are great smokers and appear to have the same construction s Altinok. Either way you go, I think you will be pleased.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

For your price range, check out www.smokingpipes.com and take a look at the IMP meers. I own several and they are all wonderful.

MrJarvis and davidmackv like this.
  6. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

The man's advice I have been waiting for.

7. Jay

Jay Active Member

Anybody have experience with ANDMEERSCHAUM?

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Yes, and it was not favorable. The carving was fine but they still use those cheesy screw-type stem and tenon assemblies that choke off the draft hole. I prefer a very open draw. But that's just my own preference.

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

As a fanatic meer smoker, my recommendations would be Sinan at Altinok Meerschaum and/or Deniz Ural at http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/coverpage.html. Both are top notch importers of quality meers.
    Shipping time was surprisingly short from Sinan...my last pipe took right at ten days from purchase to delivery.

Paul likes this.
  10. Paul

Paul Member

thanks for that link, i knew of altinok but not deniz ural, ive been looking for a meer and didnt want to get a generic one from some random "meers4cheapz" site

11. DocMacKinnon

DocMacKinnon Member

Believe it or not, you can find some decent ones on eBay- and not spend an arm and a leg! There are also replacement meerschaum fittings listed as well as softee-bit rubber bit cushions.

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I agree Doc...but it takes a while to recognize the good from the bad. There are a LOT of second rate meers on the bay, and until you've gained a bit of experience, and know what to look for, and questions to ask a seller, E-Bay can be a crap-shoot.
    I've been a meer smoker for a number of years, and still got stung a while back....my bad.
    While you CAN get a killer deal on the bay, the inexperienced stand a better chance of getting the shaft. I try to budget AT LEAST $100.00 for a new pipe, and buy from dealers I know and trust. It takes me a while to save up, but my experience...and satisfaction has always been 100% that way.
    For someone like the OP, being relatively new to the genre, I always recommend going with a good carver/dealer. Then do your research! Ask folks who know the market...no such thing as a stupid question... Once you understand the nuances of these pipes, you can make a much more educated decision with your future purchases.
    Unlike briar, it's a jungle in the meerschaum field!

13. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Member

Heehee...punny :puffy:

14. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

....not when you just dropped 30-40 on a pipe that broke in half during the second bowl. It ain't a LOT of cash, but it still hurts.........................

15. DocMacKinnon

DocMacKinnon Member

So far Skully is holding up quite well in my noobie hands. One issue is keeping my Latakia blend lit- I've learned that it's essential to keep the plastic joint unit clean, and as for the Latakia it seems to burn better when I break up the strips. He really likes PA, and does okay with H&H.

16. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Member

I mean shaft...you know...some people call the shank the shaft?...bleh my attempt at humor :doh:

17. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

I'd love to have a Ural......but he seems only into fancy carving......me I like my meer in classic shapes....billard.....canadian....bulldog.....an apple

18. SSG P

SSG P Member

I would really like to pick up a good, high end meer. Would rather sink the $$ into it, rather than getting a cheapy & regretting it & spending more for the one I should have bought in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.