1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

loose stem ( not little stem lol)

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by piper mike, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piper mike

piper mike Member

I have a cob and briar that have loose stems they swivel until it gets hot then its tight on the briar half way knits tight then loose ..I've never taken stems out hot any advice? ( lets see how many peeves answer

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

A lengthy discussion on this same problem began last week - http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/how-can-i-tighten-a-loose-stem.21304/#post-390414

Most of us find that the more you smoke a pipe the better the stem will secure. The shank takes up some moisture, swells a bit and - presto - snug stem. If that is the case then increasing the diameter of the tenon by expanding it will make it TOO tight when the mortise swells by, perhaps, enough to crack a shank. Be wary about making changes on a stem if it's loose. First smoke the pipe a good bit and see if that doesn't cure the problem - it nearly always will. That failing you can dab a tiny bit of melted beeswax on a tenon and that will act, practically, like glue on a cool pipe. That failing, a light coat of clear fingernail polish on a tenon does great; it may need to be sanded down if it's a trifle too snug. Also, folks expand the diameter of a tenon by heating it and inserting a nail or knitting needle of minimally larger diameter than the airhole through the tenon - careful with that method - not advised for rookies without prior experience on throw-away pipes.

Stonewall and Spillproof like this.
  3. piper mike

piper mike Member

Tu mister moo ill try when I get home to nite

4. Mister Moo

Smoking it some more?

5. piper mike

piper mike Member

In the order u gave not smoke it more.I've smoked them alot and they both were tight when I got them and were tight for a long time. I came home one day and and theey were both loose to the touch all 3 boys swear they didn't touch them and the shanks nor stems r cracked in any way

6. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

Bees wax should do the trick.

7. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

It's the duct tape of the pipe world

8. Mister Moo

+3... wax. Melt a drop directly on the tenon and rub it out evenly before it gets hard. Screw it in. Commence to smoke.

Report back to the mothership after three bowls.

Rewster66 likes this.
  9. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I've used the wax trick with success... once I used scotch tape to act as a shim.. it worked, although bunched up and got messy after a cleaning.

10. deyo67

deyo67 Member

I tried the heating the end of the stem with a bic, I was very careful in doing this, the putting a drill bit end in it to hopefully to widen the loose stem. Nope!! Stem split in nano seconds on me. I will not try that one again. I saw this method used on a youtube video that I watched several times to make sure I was going to do this right. As I said never again. Now onto loose stems, I do have a few of those. Was wondering if my pure bees wax candle lit and let the drippings go on the stem while rotating it will work? I do not have a solid block of bees wax. I once tried clear nail polish, OMG it tasted awful, even after 2 weeks. So I won't do that one either. I would like to know if it is a particular nail polish that I need to use?

11. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

I've been waxing my pipes for a long time with a pure beeswax candle with no ill effects, I don't see why that would not work

12. ravnhaus

ravnhaus Member

Where does one get beeswax?

13. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

I live about 20 minutes away from a candle factory. I just drive out and buy a 100% beeswax candle and use that. They'd probably just hand me a block of beeswax if I asked but I don't want to be a mooch.

You can probably order it from various websites, that seems to be where most PSF people get theirs. Somebody will be along shortly to steer you to one I'm sure.

14. Mister Moo

Buddy Hackett could have answered that question for 45-minutes.

Farmers markets usually sell honey with some comb (wax) in the jar. A few ounces is a lifetime supply for most of us. Hobby/craft shops sell small pucks of it, too, if you're not a raw honey fan.

15. piper mike

piper mike Member

Got the bees wax from ace hardware also homedepot carriers it it work great on one pipe...the estate pipe I won online is still loose but smokable now ...so thank you for the advise and as stated above one little block will last a life time the address on the back of package is :lundmark wax Co. ,Addison, Illinois 60101...if u deside to go strait to company

16. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Moo said it best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.