1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Lost cause pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by adpipes, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adpipes

adpipes Member

Some of you guys may remember that I mentioned all of my pipes are estate.

I have one, a Kaywoodie, that I just can't get cleaned up. The stem is in good shape and the outside is in good shape but there was some much cake in the bowl there is no way I could have smoked it (the pictures in the auction did NOT include a shot of the inside of the bowl - live and learn).

I've done the salt + vodka thing at least five times and I got some of the cake out but there is a still a significant amount. Now I know cake is good but this smells really strong like someone only smoked vanilla drug-store tobacco out of it for years. I have to imagine that this will effect the taste.

Should I give it up as a lost cause and chuck it?

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

You've worked this far on it and if you're making yardage, I say, keep going! May take more time, but hey, it's yours so you've got all the time in the world! Never know, it may end up smoking like a charm! You'll never let go of it! It'd be a shame to have done all that work just to toss it.

3. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

Me? I'd ream it. Reduce the current cake substantially if not entirely. Sometimes you just have to start from scratch.

4. hagbard

hagbard Member

Honestly I can't answer your main question which is "keep it or trash it". What I can give you is that I know from experience that you can ream the bowl almost to the wood. After this you will be able to remove the rest of the cake with the liquor/salt method. Now I can not guarantee that this will de-aromatic your pipe. I can guarantee though that you will be able to get the bowl back to the wood without too much difficulty. I have been going through something similar. I have reamed a pipe of mine essentially to the briar and then given it the treatment. There was no cake after. However, there was still the distinct taste and smell of Sir Walter Raleigh's ass. ;)

Go figure. Maybe send it out to one of those folks with an ozone chamber which is "guaranteed to de-stink a pipe". Maybe you should hang it in the barn for the pigeons to **** on like WillH has done.

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Gotta ream it out ... theres no other way I know . Afterwards smoke a straight tobacco in it . Might help get the ghost out ;)

6. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Sand paper wrapped around a dowel works best for me for reaming.

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

really narrow knife works if you cant get a reamer in (dont get crazy agressive, its a scraping tool, not stabbing) but sandpaper on a stick is usually safest even though it takes about FORTY DAMNED YEARS.

my first estate pipe was just the same way. i stopped at about 1/16" cake and it took me damn near two hours to ream it back. dunno how the previous owner was smoking it, you couldnt fit a pencil down the hole in the cake. no joke.

8. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Or break down and buy ya a good reamer....thats what I did.....will last years and will always be needed as long as ya smoke a pipe.

9. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I'm gonna agree with everything the boys have said so far, only going to add that after you ream that pig you throw it through an alcohol treatment. Ever since Strongirish mentioned using cotton balls instead of salt I've been hooked on that. Let it sit for a few days to propertly dry out and then start fresh with some PA or CH. They are great cake builders and don't ghost worth a damn. Good luck and let us know how you fare.

Rugs

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

+1 on that. Senior Reamer was one of the best investments I've made for this hobby.

11. nobler son

nobler son Member

That reminds me of a certain poem by the Earl of Rochester.

Kinda wish it didn't.

12. Rider

Rider Member

wowww................dont throw it away. i might be willing to give you a couple bucks if i like it lol. but yea, you should be able to clean it up and fix it anyway B)

13. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'd definitely go with the rest of the guys; you've put in all this work and have probably by now developed at least a little affection for the thing - soldier on!

Getting thick cake off is murder, but I'd go back to the wood and start over building it up the way you want it.

Stick with it - it'll be worth it in the end - remember this is from the guy who's spent at least five hours so far cleaning up his brass tobacco box and who's still got more work ahead of him on the project!

Good luck

Gerry

14. adpipes

adpipes Member

OK, I'm a never say die kind of guy. :sword:

Can anyone recommend a reamer? I have been trying to use the scoop part on my Czech tool but without much success. Can I get a decent one for under $10?

15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Sorry, adp. I got my senior reamer for free with purchase of a pipe.
    I will say this, however. Once purchased, a reamer should last your
    lifetime. So divide that up by your expectancy, and see what the
    total is. :sword:

cheers

dp

16. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I've got a battered old Kleen Reem with a sprung case....Send me your address and I'll oil it up a bit and drop it in the mail next week.

17. adpipes

adpipes Member

That is very generous. How about if I just borrow it to try it out and get it back to you?

18. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I came from different days I know - but simply take a sharp and that's the operative word sharp, clasp knife, steak knife or whatever you can lay hands on. Sublety isn't necessarily needed - get the thing back to the wood and you can rebuild and reshape the carbon to your heart's delight as it builds up.

This from the man who always used used a long electrical screwdriver to ream out the bore of any recalcitrant pipe he ever had - back to Scotland on Sunday will post the full story of wher that came from then!!

Best to all

Gerry

19. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

its not just you gerry, i ream all non-meer pipes with a small knife i made for the missus and (sometimes i suspect wisely) didn't put much of a serious edge on. the picture is attached, its probably about five inches long and half inch wide at the thickest.
    [​IMG]

20. Twan013

Twan013 Member

you've spent this much time on it, just give up and chuck it in a box at the post office with my aaddress on it! that way both of our problems are solved! oh yeah, add a small tin of your favorite tobacco too so i can test it when the pipe is clean..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.