1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Lost the band (mount) off a new Peterson, crap, crap, crap!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by SandSquid, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

Last week I recieved my Peterson Kinsale Rusticated XL20 fishtail , and I have only smoked 5 bowls through it since then. As I was walking across the compound to the smoke-pit I pulled the stem off to check to be sure it was nice and clean and dry before I packed a fresh bowl, it was and whne I went to replace the stem I saw to my horror that the nice tri-color band was now missing. There was zero chance at all of finding it, especially in this gravel/dirt underfoot, and durring a typical Afghan Summer dust storm.

do you folks think there is any chance Peterson will send just the missing band or will this require a trip in for "service", which would really suck due to the two weeks (each way) for shipping.

2. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Tough luck!....sorry to hear it! I would think the pipe would need a return to the maker - for fitment of that band......but could be wrong!.....give them a call, or email.
    OT
    ps - in that environment - I would be smoking cobs or cherries all the time.....to play safe!

3. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

Aye, I broke down and called them (it was only $1.25 a minute to call Ireland from Afghanistan, via the US ;-) they need the pipe back, which sucks for me.
    I'm going to load up the bicycle and ride over to the base post office and get it mailed off today.

I've come to the realization that life is too short (especially in this place) to settle for anything less than the best.

4. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Sorry to heart about the mishap, SandSquid...maybe Peterson will rush it back to you.

Be safe out there!

~Aaron

5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck! Please be safe! Know that I support all the troops. My son is 8 years USN, Beale.

6. SandSquid

SandSquid Member

If any of you folks are familiar with a FOD Walk.. I did a FOD Crawl. On my hands and knees, with knee pads on of course, sifting through the gravel and dust, along my path. (Since I knew I walked in a straight line from the bottom step of my hooch to the glowing light on the side of the smoke-pit, I figured it would be worth a shot) After about 3/4 of an hour (and two passes along the path) I gave up. When I stood up a glint of sunlight bounced off a shiny object about 4 feet to the left of where I was searching. YUP, I found it! The wind carried it quite a bit, I figured it would have dropped straight down along my path.

So, now that I have found it, how do I go about re-adhering it?
    It's quite loose and will fall off without the stem in place.
    Shoegoo, crazy glue, 2-part epoxy, nonoxonyl-9, what ???

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    What a marvellous stroke of good fortune!
    Have you got another pipe that you could smoke? Perhaps one that is a bit more "expendable"? A Cob perhaps?
    Of course you could glue it back on with Superglue for instance:)

Good luck and all the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.