1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of Blends and Similarities

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Coalsmoke, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coalsmoke

Coalsmoke Member

Hey, Gang...
    I've picked up a couple of blends based on recommendations from members here namely 7 Seas Royal (my only aro) and FMOTT. Those two have won a permanent place in my rotation and I'm stocking up on them both. Now I'm taking some English/Scottish/Balkan blends out for a test drive to find 'The One'. So far, I've smoked GLP's Westminster, Kensington, and Blackpoint with the later two mixed together 50/50 for a 'just right' strength and flavor. I have a tin of McConnell's Scottish Blend on the way with my order for more 7 Seas Royal, and am going to get a tin of Dunhill 965. A couple of more that I want to try out are Gawith's Squadron Leader and Butera's Pelican, both of which are wildly popular and always sold out. I'm wondering just how much overlap there is in the English type blends...seems to be quite a lot really. With the Scottish Blend, the addition of Perique changes the formula away from the usual Virginia/Orientals/Latakia, so I'm keeping that as a seperate test. What English types have you guys smoked that are the 'same as'? Any that you find so similar as not to be very mush different from each other? Enquiring minds need to know! [​IMG]

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm going to go down on record as saying they are all different. They won't be to me or to you but there will be at least one smoker that will be able to discern a difference between 2 particular blends that you and/or I can't.

I do see your point, though. The question has been asked about a lot of GL Pease blends that "how many different combos can he make using just virginia, latakia and orientals?". Well, by varying the amounts of each and by using different oriental varietals, he hasn't seemed to repeat himself.

Personally, I find his Westminster to smoke no differently than any other run-of-the-mill bulk English blend, but a lot of people disagree.

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think there are overlaps of type between blending houses, but you get that "house flavor" and it keeps them apart. GL Pease Maltese Falcon is very similar to McClelland British Woods in some ways, but they have different toppings and a slightly different recipe. Smoked head to head, they are different, but both are solid "medium English" blends.

I use blends like Squadron Leader as sort of benchmarks where I can take a measurement with a new blend - more latakia, more strawberry flavor... whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.