1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Love the grain in this pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by len smetona, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len smetona

len smetona Member

I guess it is the staining too. I do like Bulldogs, but for some reason I really like the grain in this one. Perhaps it is just very well polished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250743798503&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_9460wt_1139

2. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

Beautiful pipe. I would like to get a bulldog as one of my next pipes.

3. pottsy

pottsy Member

She is a sharp one for sure. Don't know anything about that brand of pipe though.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

That's a nice one.. I'd have to agree, very nice grain

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Some of the grain looks like waves rolling on the beach ... Cool :)

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Nice pipe! Knobby1041 gets great pipes and his prices are way more than fair........he does a good job in the restoration dept. as well. I've gotten a couple of his pipes and talked with him briefly at NASPC this past Aug. Nice guy. Down to earth.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Great piece of briar. That pipe looks like it's been hard used on the buffer though - the edges of the stem are very rounded over, and I kind of wonder how thin that stem is now, like, did a guy grind it right down to get rid of toothmarks or what?

8. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

That's funny, in a way. The first thing I noticed--after the grain--was that certain edges of the stem don't line up with the stummel (have I got the nomenclature right?). There's one corner in particular that has exposed wood where I think there should be stem. I wondered if it came that way from the factory/carver.

9. Burner

Burner Member

It wouldn't have been made that way as Larsens are top pipes.

10. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Maybe the stem is upside down? It doesn't look like there are any marks to show which side goes up. If you gave the stem a 180 degree twist it might line up better.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's not the original mouth piece . Frankly , I'd rather have a clean not so perfect pipe than one with tooth marks and looks like crap . Tell ya what I just hate in any pipe . Stain inside the edge of the bowl . To me that is so lame . Years ago Boswell pipes where like that often enough and I wouldnt buy them for my shop because of that and another reason having to do with shape balance which I thought was poor. Surely his pipes are better now cause it's been alot of years but I still dont bother looking at them [ lame , I know ]. When I made pipes I sanded the bowls and their was no stain over the edge and I consisdered myself only a half assed part time pipe maker so when I see this in pipes made by people that take themselves seriously I cant take them seriously I guess . It's a sign of being lazy to have stain in the bowl ... no doubt .

12. len smetona

len smetona Member

Yeh, the stem sides don't seem to match up with the shank sides, it might need to be rotated 180, or like you said, a heavy hand at the buffer.

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

My thoughts too, looking at it. Looks like a standard Giudici 273.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.