Low nicotine nice smelling tobacco?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Grug, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grug

Grug Member

Was looking for some advice on a nice starting smoke. Want something maybe that is slightly aromatic. Dont need a high nicotine content. Want something that is very much not like cigarette smell or taste. Can anybody recommend something to try? Would go for something in a tin. Any thoughts on GH Top Black cherry?

I have been reading the forum here and stuff but am still abit confused as to where to begin. I take it English is lightest and Virginian is heaviest? Did I get that right?

Aromatics burn the hottest? As they are sort of wet?

Any pointers here on what to try?

2. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

1Q is a good aro or EMP is very light English both are very low nicotine and smell good. :bling:

3. Grug

Grug Member

1Q and EMP? Can you expand on this abit? I dont know all the short forms yet.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Lane produces a bulk blend called 1Q - it's a lot like Captain Black.

EMP is Early Morning Pipe from Dunhill. Good tasting but I would say it smells like ... dirty socks.

You're in Canada - the brigham tobaccos are pretty tasty - Mark Twain, Royal Viking, Brigham's Own.. they all smell nice and burn not too badly.

If you have a local tobacconist, see if they carry Peter Stokkebye "Optimum" - this stuff is super mild and smells great. One of the few my wife actually likes.

(Where are you in the Great White?)

5. Grug

Grug Member

Thanks for the info. I will go to one of the last shops that are left and see what I can get. I did a mail order for some stuff from 4noggins but it hasnt shown up yet. I am out by Toronto.

6. jayf

jayf Member

Howdy, SWR aro a geeat puff. Not too strong, good room note.

Peace,
    Jayf

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

First thing to do is determine what you mean by "nice smelling". Do you want something that smells like something other than tobacco - like a cherry, or vanilla or roses? Or like a campfire, a hayfield or meadow?

I'd recommend that if you have a tobacco shop close to you, stop in and stick your sniffer in some of the jars. That will help you determine what you like the smell of. Then you get to try tasting them, and it can get even more confusing from there. The problem is that a lot of smokers prefer the taste of the blends that smell the worst in a jar.

But first thing's first - smell. Because what I think smells wonderful you might think smells like horse doo-doo. It's hard to recommend tobaccos based on another person's sense of smell.

8. Grug

Grug Member

Went to the local tobacco shop yesterday, all I could find that wasnt brokum riff, captain black or sail was a small tin of Erinmore.

9. slprl1

slprl1 Member

I agree. Lane's 1-Q is a good choice for aromatic and I would suggest Frog Morton for a light non-aromatic.

10. Grug

Grug Member

Can anybody recommend an online place to buy from in Canada?

11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Check with www.4noggins.com. I think Rich can ship to Canada.

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I'll second Rich for on-line outside the US....
    As for a "good smelling, light nicotine" tobacco, I would strongly reccommend Evening Stroll from Benjamin Hartwell. It's an aromatic, but is not a goopy aromatic. Light vanilla/chocolate flavor that still leaves you the tobacco taste that we all love....and speaking of "love", the ladies go crazy for the room note with this one, even my mother-in-law!

13. Grug

Grug Member

For anybody who has imported a tin of tobacco into Canada if say the tin was $10 US how much duty/taxes were there with its importation?

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

PS Sweet vanilla is low in nicotine and one of the easier smokes to light and go with . You can taste the leaf and the vanilla ... it's very well done .The room note is killer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.