1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

M. Sorensen Pipe (Norway)

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by dwaugh, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I was trying to find some information on this pipe, which I think was bought in the 60's or 70's for my Uncle. This link has what I have tracked down so far. http://vulcanitestem.blogspot.com/2011/04/pipe-identification.html I think the head is supposed to be Edvard Grieg (anyone agree? have a better guess? maybe its not a "real" person? There are photos of the pipe and Edvard at my link. I was wondering if anyone has seen one of these pipes before? I don't think its rare or valuable.... I sent the link to the pipe store in Norway hoping they may have some insight.

Here is a photo of the pipe (not that I can get an image to show up in a forum post....) Thanks, David
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

In profile, my first reaction was Samuel Clemens... then from the front my first reaction was William Shakespeare. I looked again and came to the conclusion that I have no idea.

I propose the POSSIBILITY that it's no one we'd know. There were carvers who used to do portrait pipes. You could send them a picture and they'd carve a pipe to that likeness.

Actually, the meerschaum carvers of today will still do this. E-mail them a photo and they'll send you a pipe with your face on it (and after checking my mug in the mirror, that's a pretty scary thought!).

3. dwaugh

I didn't think about Shakespeare; Clemens and Einstein came to mind too. I found Greig by trying to google famous people from Norway and it seems to fit as well as anyone... Your right though, it could be no one.... -David

4. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Greig would make sense. The Norwegians put music as a high priority.

If you ever want to sell it, let me know. Being a classically trained musician, I would love to have a "musical" pipe.

5. dwaugh

Jim, I emailed the store that sold it, they misunderstood the question and just said that they they don't have it anymore, it may have been a language thing. I sent a reply asking again if they think it could be Greig, still waiting for a response. The pipe is yours, no charge, PM your address and I will send it to you. -David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.