1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac B Black Ambrosia

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by woodbutcher, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Nov 27, 2009
    I've never been much of an Aromatic smoker. I have found something to like about all the other types (except Lakelands, but, that's another issue). I do keep my eyes open for something that I can enjoy and the wife will accept.
    I was buying another tin of HH Vintage Syrian and saw that the B&M had this Black Ambrosia on sale for dirt cheap. Since I've already experimented with Lanes, Boswells, and others, I decided to give it a try.
    The first two bowls were a pleasant surprise. My wife "loves" the smell, it lights and burns well, and I found myself enjoying the taste. Yes, it's very sweet tasting, but, sipping slow (like any other MacB blend) I would get different tastes at different times. Sometimes cherry, sometimes honey, sometimes just tobacco. It actually kept me interested.
    As I lit the 3rd bowl, I checked out the reviews on TobaccoReviews. It surprised me that they were almost all extremely low ratings. I've seen reviews of Walgreens tobacco get higher marks. I even double-checked to make sure I was reading the right page.
    I felt like I do when I really get into a movie that has been critically panned and bombed at the box-office.

In the end, I've just decided to keep enjoying this stuff. 'Smoke what I like and like what I smoke'. I even went so far as to order a 16 oz. bag of the blend to keep from running out.
    It won't replace my usual favorites, but, when the sweet-tooth hits or company is coming, I know which jar I'll be reaching for.

Does anyone else like this stuff or have a similar "guilty-pleasure" tobacco blend?
  2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    This is,and so far, the only MacB weed I have ever given up on totally. Don't know why. Just never liked it from the first smoke......strange how that happens sometimes.....
  3. Stoked

Stoked Member

Feb 11, 2010
    I like sweet tasting tobaccos many times, and I even like sweet aromatics for a morning smoke (from TinderBox) but when it gets to the level of "very" that's when stay away. I'm glad you enjoy this MacB blend, and yeah, it's like wine tasting. If you like it, it's good.
  4. Brian

Brian Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I had a tin of Black Ambrosia. It's their "special" black cavendish they mix into their other blends, with a few ribbons of VA mixed in. I really like their black cavendish in other blends -- Club Blend, Mixture Modern, Symphony. But all by itself, it was a little too much of a good thing for my tastes.

I like an occasional, sweet black cav. I get a craving for it now and then. I thought Black Ambrosia was less sweet than most Vanilla-style black cav aromatics. MacBaren's is less sweet, and has a nice spiciness I enjoy. I like that more than perique as a peppery-spice tobacco (my personal taste). That is how they seem to use it in their other blends.

Black Ambrosia was pretty decent. There's a local blend from Georgetown Tobacco called "Raven" that I like a little better.

Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke. So I'm happy you found a pleasing smoke.
  5. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Sep 17, 2009
    There is no reason to feel guilty about liking an aromatic. There are some very good ones. For me it's MacBarons Vanilla Cream.
  6. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You asked about "guilty pleasures". I still have yet to find an aromatic I like more than Captain Black Gold. Captain Black gets frowned upon a lot. I'm not crazy about the other labels, just Gold. All other aromatics just seem to leave ashy or soapy aftertastes, including higher-end brands. I'm still ever searching for other aros I like though. Perhaps I should try Black Ambrosia, though I think Mac Baren is overrated for the prices they charge. There are so many better brands that don't cost as much, like Samuel Gawith and Peter Stokkebye.
  7. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I quite like Black Ambrosia, and was also surprised by the poor reviews of it. I get dismayed when others find what I like as off putting - not because I care what they think over what I do, but because it may lead to the product or blend becoming discontinued.

I never thought of the flavor as very sweet, though. Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew or Blue Note are much sweeter than Black Ambrosia, but I love them both, too. Sometimes I really enjoy a 'dessert' smoke, and feel far less guilt than if I grab a piece of candy or cake.
  8. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Don't worry about that. It is a very Danish style tobacco, and they are a Denmark company. Probably very popular back home.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.