mac baren 7 seas range.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by craig, Jan 29, 2013.

1. craig

craig Active Member

hey guys hope your well.

Ive been interested by the captain black pipe tobaccos but heard many mixed reviews of them, but the tobacconist i get my regular tobaccos from, does the mac barens seven seas range which is supposedly their take on the captain black.

Any of you tried it and what are your impressions

Tompf and Linus like this.
  2. Linus

Linus Member

The white (regular) is sweet, not to bad, neither that taste of quality one might want. A hint (or maybe even 2 hints) of vanilla.

The golden (vanilla) also sweet, taste chemicals, could'nt finnish a bowl, lot's of chemical vanilla and totaly wrong.

Red and blue, i have'nt tried them.

All in all, i might buy a white pack again, but it whould never be a daily smoke, not even monthly. The golden i whould never buy, nor smoke if it was given to me.

Tompf likes this.
  3. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

And for another opinion on 7 seas, I have smoked regular, royal, and black. Never heard of red and blue (is that a captain black thing?). The ones I have tried are basic aromatics, and I like them. They don't pretend to be anything special, but in my opinion, they are very good. I have a pound of regular and a pound of royal in my cellar. There are some other threads here about 7 seas, and I know a few other people here like them. See if your tobacconist can give you some small samples -- they are worth a try if you like sweet aromatics.

Tompf likes this.
  4. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

If you like Captain Black, I think you'd like 7 Seas Black. It's a VERY mellow smoke. It has a hint of amaretto and vanilla, but it's not overpowering. A couple tins of that will be on my next order.

I didn't mind 7 Seas Vanilla, but I can't say that I'm crazy about it. For me...the black cavendish content wasn't as high as I like. It was a bit too sweet, to me.

As JRobert said...I'd see if they'd give you some samples before investing in a tin.

Tompf likes this.
  5. craig

craig Active Member

thanks for the advice guys im thinking i might be picking up a pouch or two when im the tobacconists area in the coming months

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Love the pouch aroma of CB white! My uncle smoked it exclusively before he passed 12 years ago. I always got tongue bite from it and try as I might, I dont buy it or smoke it anymore.
    They put too much propylene glycol in it which keeps it moist. Around here they refer to it as "Goop" So too much goop in CB white.
    There are plenty of tobaccos that mirror CB but are goop-less or goop-reduced.
    I found a local B&M in Clarks Summit Pa called Connoly's Tobacco shop. He passed a few years back but his wife continues to blend and sell. My favorite of his was Shannon. He told me it was very close to CB white and it is, sans the goop.
    Hope this helps!

craig likes this.
  7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The McB stuff is ok. I can't find anything nice to say about CB except, as MacDragon said, the room not is sweet.

craig likes this.
  8. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I've struggled to decide what I think of these tobaccos. I've tried four of the 7 Seas blends - White (Regular), Blue (Royal), Black, and Red (Cherry). Cherry and Royal are probably my two favourites so far. As I've smoked through my tins and samples of these I've started to notice/acquire a weird chemical taste, maybe to do with some of their flavoring ingredients. The taste (which reminds me faintly of wood stain and soap) is most prominent to me in the Regular and Black varieties, much less noticeable in Royal and absent from Cherry (which to me tastes the most natural and interesting of the bunch, being a slightly fruity burley mixture). I'm sure it's my my own personal taste, I've read nothing from anyone else noticing the same thing. I've noticed the same lingering background taste in Mac Baren Honey & Chocolate, as well, which leads me to believe it's a Mac Baren characteristic that my own palate doesn't quite agree with. Which is a shame, because in all other respects I consider them all excellent aromatics. I'm curious to try Vanilla Cream Flake and see if I detect the same curious taste.

I have not tried many tinned aromatics in general, but by far the ones I've enjoyed best are by Peterson - Connoisseur's Choice and De Luxe Mixture especially. I'd probably buy those instead of the 7 Seas blends next time I want a high-quality tinned aro. But we'll see. I think I've finally settled on my favorite simple aromatic tobacco and it doesn't come in tins.

Tompf likes this.
  9. Monty

Monty Active Member

I'm trying the Black now and it has a very pleasant room note and the taste is nice, but it give me indigestion.

10. Moose

Moose Active Member

I like all the ones I have tried, including golden, blue and red. I have a tin of the black but haven't cracked it as yet. They all have a wonderful tin smell. I think they are better than most CB I have tried and I am
    a fan of the CB Royal. Worth the try IMO.