1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Baren Highland Blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WisconsinPiper, Apr 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WisconsinPiper

WisconsinPiper Member

Just recieved my latest order from smokingpipes and was surprised to find a small pouch containing an apparently new Mac Baren blend....Highland Blend.

So I google it and find out you can't buy the stuff yet. Apparently the stuff is a spin off of the old discontinued blend of Highland Mixture.

Description.
    Fully matured Virginias, Ready Rubbed Burleys, Latakia and a touch of Fire-cured Cavendish is the recipe. We added one of the worlds finest 30 years old Scotch whiskies, Glenfarclas. The natural flavours from the tobacco and the delightful taste of the Scotch marry perfectly, so when smoked you experience the mellow taste and subtle smoky note of the tobaccos combined with the overtone of a fine scotch.

Going to be introduced at the Chicago show this year.
    Don't know if I'll fire it up tonight....review to follow.

Anybody get a chance to sample this yet?

-Van

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yer killin me ... C'mon ... light er up man ! I wanna make an order w/ them in hopes of getting some to try ... sounds like it might be good

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

30 year old Glenfarclas?!! You rich people
    make me sick. ;)

dp

4. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Sounds really good.

If you don't want to fire it up, send it my way.

5. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

If they're going to sell it at MacBaren prices, they better start watering that Glenfarclas!

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It's the newbie from the "HH" line. Don't know if this new "MacB Highland" is gonna be any different from the previous but will give it a try. I like all of the "HH" blends with Vintage Syrian and Mature Va being my favs. Acadian Perique is quite nice too so I'd imagine the Highland Mix will fit in nicely. Time and puffin' will tell!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I hope you enjoy it, and will find the opinions interesting, but for me adding such a fine spirit to the nondescript tobaccos that McB. foists on pipesmokers is....a total waste! (better add! - to each his own, YMMV, etc. etc. :eek:hyeah: )
    Cheers, OT

8. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Does anyone know when this will be available?

9. ruffinogold

Ay , Ya smoke that stuff yet ?

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Yeah interested parties want to know! I'd be astonished if it wasn't horrible - whisky never seems to work in tobacco.

11. ruffinogold

Agreed .. I havent had a good whiskey blend yet ... but whiskey cleans pipes nicely

12. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

I got a sample of this from my recent order....I'm up late watching the F1 practice from Turkey and decided to fire up a small bowl.

This is a pleasant surprise. The latakia is there, but pretty subtle. It's more noticeable as a slight spicyness on my tounge. When snorked, the scotch comes thru, but again...it's subtle. I don't really have anything to compare it too.....perhaps it's like SWR Aromatic, but more refined. It's pretty good however, and I think it'll be popular for Mac Baren...certainly worth trying.

13. Beale

Beale Active Member

Sounds Delish to me!! Beale.

14. tedswearingen

tedswearingen Member

I think it's quite good.

15. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Got a sample bag of this from smokingpipes.com. Still haven't fired it up, though. Mostly because I also bought a tin of FMOTT, and can't stop smoking it.

Once I get my bully back, I'm gonna try it in there.

16. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I received a small pouch of HH Highland Blend with my latest order from smokingpipes.com. I've given it a few bowls, and I'll admit that I like it. I get a lot of sweetness from the Virginia/burley combination and you can pick out the cavendish as well. The latakia seems to me that it makes only a cameo appearance. Maybe it's there to provide a base and a little body to support the other tobaccos and the scotch casing. Not being a blender and experienced with these sorts of things I really don't know.

When I smoke this the main thing I get is the flavor of scotch. If you smoke heavy and quickly this will end up being rather unpleasant, but if you take your time and sip your pipe like you do a finger of scotch, this will be a rewarding tobacco. I'd almost prefer a simpler blend of tobacco for the scotch, maybe just the Virginias and maybe burley, but I doubt I'd call this mixture overkill.

If you don't like scotch or aromatics I'd say pass on this one. I think I'll end up buying a few more ounces of the Highland Blend, but it's not my favorite. It'll be nice for days I want to have an aromatic but not one that's overly sweet or citrusy.

17. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I too received a sample from SP and gave it a try......... and tried another bowl later. It's a good smoke. I agree with TS and the Latakia is there in occasional "whisps" and then disappears. If you're lat sensitive or a "Lat-o-phobe", then this one is not for you unless you're wishing to check Lats out sort of like getting your toes wet to feel the waters. I won't be buying anymore....... and I do appreciate SP sending this toby out as samples even prior to it's release for sale date. Very cool of SP. Wonder if MacB has a "HH Highland Mature Va" anywhere in the works? ;)

:wiz:
    Ed
    Puff

18. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I just had about half a bowl. Didn't really do much for me. Though I was working on a paper while writing and smoking rather quickly.

I'll have another, full bowl, sometime soon. I hope it's better. I was really looking forward to this one, too.

19. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

I got two sample pouches. It is a wonderful blend. I ordered a pound but do not know when it will be available. Does anyone know?

20. Zfog

Zfog Member

I have like 4 of these pouches. It was ok, not really my cup of tea. i will try it again in a month or so, just to give it a fair shake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.