Mac Baren Honey

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

In your opinions, what MB blend do you feal has the most honey taste ?

Thanks

2. User4408

User4408 Active Member

For me it's Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend.

However, even though the scent of honey is pronounced when you open the tin, it doesn't really come through in the flavor. Instead you get a more natural taste suggesting cereal grains, along with the nuttiness of burley and the slight smokiness of dark-fired tobacco. There's also the hay-like aroma of fine Virginia tobacco.

Many of the German pipe smokers claim that it's not really a honey aroma, but rather the trademark Mac Baren aroma. Having smoked all of their blends, I would tend to agree with that claim. It's possible that the sweet note actually comes from a maple sugar casing rather than honey. Whatever it is, it's delicious once you get a taste for it.

Also, when you've smoked Club Blend for a while, you'll start detecting a sort of caramelized brown sugar note. It's subtle at first, but becomes more noticeable once you home in on it.

David Emond likes this.
  3. Waino

Waino Active Member

Same in cooking. Some ingredients loose their own profile but make something new together.

David Emond likes this.
  4. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I have some mixture flake and when i slowly puff i get a sweet honey like taste. Same for honey and chocolate blend, this i could actually smell the honey on my fingers after loading my pipe.

User4408 likes this.
  5. pacificflows

pacificflows Member

Might not be honey, but golden extra sure has a delicious sweetish taste on the first half of the bowl. More Virginia forward, I would say. The second half turned into that same sweetness with the nuttiness of a burley. Delicious.

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I get it off Scottish Mixture a lot, and off of Golden Extra a TAD. Personally, I think its mead - a traditional Danish spirit made from honey.

7. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Forgot about that one. Yes, totally agree.

I avoided buying Mixture Flake for a long time because of its higher cost, and the fact that most people said it was exactly the same as regular Mixture. Well, it's true they taste highly similar, and I'm sure they're probably exactly the same recipe. However, the Flake is awesomely rich. And the honey aroma from the tin is fantastic.

Fortunately the price of the Flake has come down at many vendors. Unfortunately he price of regular Mixture has gone up. So I've switched my buying patterns, and have come to really enjoy the flake version.

Won't buy it in bulk however. My experience is that Mac Baren bulk versions lack those honeyed top-notes present in the tinned varieties. Instead they seem to use whiskey, which some people might actually prefer. Or maybe it's just the effect that different packaging options have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.