Mac Baren Latakia blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Skrymr, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's even better in a Meer ! I think youre like me .. I can taste Latakia in the smallest amount . What pipe did you have it in ? I smoke it in my Meer Gourd and it's aboyt as good as it can get !

[​IMG]

psquared and Skrymr like this.
  2. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Active Member

That is an awesome gourd!

ruffinogold and Skrymr like this.
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Per told me at Chicago that it is 1% latakia, and called the Latakia Blend because of the roll cake/coin/disc/spun cut/twist flake family they have, it is the only one with any latakia in it at all.

So that's Stockton, Roll Cake, Club Blend, Dark Twist, Latakia Blend.... missing any? Anyway they're all good but the Latakia Blend is special.

Skrymr likes this.
  4. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I smoked it in my Kaywoodie. And I'm looking forward to trying it in my no meer tomorrow.

ruffinogold likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

It is ! It's the best pipe I ever smoked and I don't smoke it often cause it takes a good while to smoke it , which is the only downer , cause I'd like to smoke it more often . I mainly smoke MB Latakia in it cause I figure when I have the time to smoke it , I might as well fill it with my favorite blend ...... though I'm dyin to try Ogdens walnut in it :eek: .... man , that's gonna be even longer ... cool !

Skrymr and Calvinandpipe like this.
  6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

That's a crazy pipe Ruff. I just can't see a stick-in-the-mud like you smoking an ostentatious piece like that....

psquared, Skrymr and ruffinogold like this.
  7. ruffinogold

Lol ......... yeah , I know :rolleyes:

If it makes ya feel better about me , I only smoke it indoors so no one sees me walkin around with it in public

psquared and Skrymr like this.
  8. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Passes for human

I bought a tin after reading the mayors post on it. I still haven't opened it but I may get a couple more tins since my local smoke shop has it.
    As soon as I finish something else and get a jar freed up I'll crack it open.

9. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

OK, smoked some in my little Wellington on the way to the office this morning and, just about at the bottom of the bowl, got the slightest hint of Latakia. I don't smoke lats in it, so it's not a ghost. Good to know there is at least "some" lat in this nice blend. :)

10. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I smoke a couple bowls in my meer this weekend. For me it has a stronger lat presence than in a briar. I was really hoping for a lighter lat flavor. :whis: It seems any amount of lat in a blend will make it's presence known to me pretty strongly.

User4408 likes this.
  11. User4408

User4408 Active Member

That's what I get too. I really like the MB Latakia Blend, but usually reserve it for the late evening because it strikes me as a very rich smoke. Not particularly strong, but very thick and satisfying. And the latakia is definitely there for me.

Plumcake on the other hand seems like a more subtle use of latakia. Maybe it's down in the 0.5 % range. Anyway, I can taste it, but only faintly in the background. Another great smoke, but more on the aromatic side.

My dream is to get a Sav 316 EX with a 1+ inch diameter chamber, where you can load it loosely with a stack of spun discs adding some rubbed out kindling on top. And then letting that baby smolder for a good 3 hours. Doing that with the Latakia Blend might be a bit too much. But Stockton would be perfect, with all that dark-fired richness.

Skrymr likes this.
  12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Agreed: It's insanely rich, but not super strong, which is pretty typical of these coin-cuts from Mac Baren.

Skrymr likes this.
  13. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

I had another bowl of this in my estate Kaywoodie last night after work. I finally got what everyone here has been describing. The lat was much less pronounced, and it was a very good smoke. I'm not sure if I loaded it differently, or if it is just a little drier after sitting in the tin for a couple weeks. Either way, it was a very good smoke. This could be the lat blend I have been looking for.

User4408 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.