1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Baren Mature Virginia

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jeffbee, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Oct 26, 2010
    I haven't exactly been active on this forum for the last month or so. I've got many things pulling me in many directions right now, so my smoking time is somewhat diminished. That being said, I still have managed to empty most of my open tins. So I was rummaging around in the old footlocker and found my stash of Mac Baren HH brands. I retrieved a ziplock containing a practically full tin of Mature Virginia.

The tin was nearly full, so obviuosly I had opened it. So why did I bag it and throw it into the "cellar"? I checked the bottom of the can for my date marking. It had been in there since September of 2010, so it had been aging for approximately 4 months. If it had been too moist or somewhat bitey, this time-out should have adjusted its attitude.

I Franked some into a rather tall pipe with a somewhat narrow bore (Duke of Kent bulldog). It lit nicely and burned well. The first thing I noticed was that this toby should be gently sipped. Not for a bite, but instead because that's where the flavor lies.

I sat and sipped and contemplated. This stuff is good. Not sharp, no nose-tingle. A nice little bit of sweetness. The flavor is almost maple surup or hickory nuts, but its very subtle. Reminds me of a Davidoff instead of a Mac Baren. I sat and sipped and contemplated some more. The slower I sipped, the better this stuff smoked. The pleasing, light, sweet flavor and aroma took me back a bit. It reminded me of when I first weaned myself off of the gooey aromatics and tried "serious tobacco". Someone else recently posted about being reminded to slow down and savor the smoke, and maybe I had that in my mind as I sat and sipped and contemplated.

And that was that. No frills. Nothing to knock my socks off or piss me off. Simply a quiet contemplative smoke for the duration of the bowl. No tamping. No relights. No gurgle. No dottle. Just nice clean ash that fell into the ashtray with a simple tap tap.

I needed that. It was probably the most relaxing 45 minutes I've had since Christmas. This tin goes into the rotation immediately. And next time, it will be in the Peterson XL305 because I need more smokes like that, and I want it to last at least an hour.
  2. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    ...and isn't that just what pipe smoking's all about. It sounds like a grand moment and a great smoke. Well written, thanks for sharing - and may you have many more such moments!

Best to all,

3. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010
    I have yet to explore most of
    the MacB's, so thank you for
    sharing your thoughts on this
    blend. I, too, have been
    eliminating my opened tins
    to savour the sealed stock
    that I have. Great post! I
    felt more relaxed after just
    reading it.

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Thanks for a very informative review and an excellent read, Jeff! I haven't tried MacBaren's yet but this one sounds right up my alley and I'll be adding it to my list.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.