Mac Baren Plum Cake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by F1guy, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F1guy

F1guy Member

Tobacco: Mac Baren Plum Cake
    Description on tin: "Plumcake brings the thoughts back to old times, when the sailors onboard the sailing ships filled their pipe with good, satisfying tobacco and having the scent of tar and saltwater all around them. Bright Virginia tobaccos mixed with Burley, a little original Mac Baren Cavendish and just a touch of Syrian Latakia. On top of this masterly made blend original Jamaica Rum has been added to fulfill the impression. This blend is full bodied and rich giving you the taste nuances of natural sweetness added with a slight taste of smoke, Latakia, and the distinctive aroma of sailor rum."

Pipe: Custom Diplomat by ShawnP

I think I really like this blend. The tin was very fresh, and the blend was strong (got a spot lightheaded after a few draws, though this may be because I'm not an everyday smoker) There was a slight sweetness associated with it, in addition to the usual Latakia spiciness. Though I am not the most seasoned piper out there, this blend wasn't overpowering at all. Though it can be a bit strong, it was manageable, and enjoyable, with a decent tobacco aftertaste in the smoke. Not a bad blend at all. At around $11 a tin on Pipes and Cigars, this will be a repeat purchase on my part if the rest of the tin is as good as my first bowl of it.

Eric Pierson, Mington and BradNTX like this.
  2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Nice report, and if you like Plum Cake, you should try Club Blend. I like Plum Cake as well, but find Club Blend a little more malty and smooth.

psquared and Mington like this.
  3. F1guy

F1guy Member

Is that a Mac Barren blend?

4. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

yes

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Plum Cake is awesome tasting stuff. It bites the hell out of me though.. I just can't smoke it much.

Artistik likes this.
  6. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

That's odd. Every other Mc. B blend I've tried had the famous "Mc. Bite" for me, but plumcake doesn't.:msty:

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I get no bite from Golden Extra, and the coin style blends seem to do better for me in larger bowls.

8. F1guy

F1guy Member

Ill admit that this did have a tendency to burn a spot, so it definitely won't be a daily blend. I'm thinking about some dunhill soon.

9. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Plum Cake is a recent addition to my rotation. Not as good as Honey and Cholate, but good. I smoke it in a cob as I do all of their blends. No bite that way.

TedVig likes this.
  10. BigG

BigG Member

Thanks for your review.
    Plumcake is another of my favorites - have stashed a bunch in the cellar.
    I'm not much for latakia, but the condimental amount in Plumcake adds just the perfect subtlety to provide a unique blend.

Artistik likes this.
  11. Taco

Taco Member

Is this really what it says on the tin!? How nauseating. It reads like a middle schooler trying his hand at flowery language without yet understanding what words mean. Or perhaps it is just the Danes... English isn't their first language so we need to cut them some slack, right?

I need to be more tolerant.

12. F1guy

F1guy Member

Haha, yes, that was taken, word-for-word, from the tin. I agree, especially with the "tar" part. I read that and said, "WTF?!" But, language aside, I can't argue with the tobacco. It's good stuff.

13. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Have to agree about the description on the tin. I'm not really looking for a smoke that smells like tar and saltwater. And "the slight taste of smoke"??? But its a good smoke regardless of the writer.

TedVig likes this.
  14. CarlBC

CarlBC Member

Plum Cake can always be found in my cellar, as can Roll Cake. I've read not many people like Roll Cake so much, but for some reason it hits my palette the right way. I'll have to try Club Blend as well. For some reason, I've never made it 'round to trying it.

And F1guy, if you have the opportunity, you should try Germain's Plum Cake as well. Same moniker, but the taste is different yet equally delightful.

:toast:
    -- Carl

15. Rusticpiper

Rusticpiper New Member

I picked up some of this in a pouch forum here in Canada where I live. I enjoyed it very much. Will deffinatly go back to it again :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.