Mac Baren Scottish Blend tasting really sour

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Odin, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odin

Odin Member

I started smoking a pipe a couple of months ago. I went to a shop near where I live and bought a relatively cheap pipe and a Mac Baren Scottish Blend. I really enjoyed the tobacco and when I had smoked throught it, I bought a new one. This pack tasted good for a while, but now it tastes really sour and isn't very enjoyable. I suspected it might have been the pipe, but I tried smoking it from a brand new one and it tasted all the same. Is it my fault, or does tobacco quality vary like that?

2. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi Odin,
    I think it might be more that your tastes changed. You might want to change it up a little. I smoke something different every bowl. I never tried that blend so I can't speak from experience but try something else and see if you are still getting that sour taste.

Paul

3. Odin

Odin Member

Thanks Paul. I have a different blend available but tobacco is really expensive here in Norway.

4. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Sometimes if you smoke too fast and too hot you can make a tobacco taste sour. Mabe you can slow down your puffing cadence and see if you get a better taste also.

Paul

5. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I've smoked about a pound of Mixture so far, and I haven't had a sour bowl. However, there have been times that there seemed to be a higher percentage of black tobacco as I was loading a bowl. These bowls tend to have a little more tanginess. I guess it could be that there was more Cavendish or stoved VA in that pinch or two. You might try dumping it into a bowl and mixing it up a little. Get the mixture back in line.

6. Odin

Odin Member

Thanks for the advice people.

7. Odin

Odin Member

Well I smoked a bowl of another blend, and guess what, I got the same problem, so it's obviously something I'm doing wrong. What puzzles me is that I haven't had this problem before.
    I guess I'm smoking too fast, though it hasn't been an issue in the past (though I haven't been smoking for long). One thing I've noticed is that everytime this happens the tobacco ash is white and not black, and it's this white ash that tastes sour. If I remove it it tastes like it should again.

8. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

You might have a case of pipe mouth... It took me about a month.. Everything was smoking and tasting great,, then one day, I packed up a pipe and everything tasted salty and metallic... I blamed everything.. dirty pipe, bad technique, tainted tobacco, etc. etc.
    For me, I found out that basically I hit a wall I call pipe mouth.. Its not a tongue burn per say, but its from all the little bits of damage you do to your tongue when you start out... Not straight burning it, but just tiny bits at a time, and your tongue doesn't get a good chance to heal, and it affects how your pipe tobacco smoke tastes drastically.. I had to lay down the pipe for a couple days, and not touch it... and when I did go back to it, I did so VERY slowly..
    I'm not sure that's what you are experiencing, but it seems that new pipers, like me then, and you now, as well as a few others have suffered through this...
    Good news, if you give your mouth a couple days to heal up and get some fresh strong taste buds grown in... and start back as slowly as possible, you'll be tasting your tobacco as you were, enjoying every puff.
    Hope this helps you out!

SouthBound likes this.
  9. Odin

Odin Member

That is very interesting Darkly, I will try it out and see if it helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.