1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Baren Sets Sail

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by erickghint, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erickghint

erickghint Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Americans have been producing pipe tobaccos for decades. Price Albert for instance, was introduced in 1907, and is still widely available today. Another, Captain Black, has been a staple in many piper's arsenal for quite some time. Others such as Walnut, Middleton's Cherry, Paladin, the Smoker's Pride line and Carter Hall have been around almost, if not just as long, and hold a dear place in the hearts of many American pipe smokers, as well as those outside the US. Lane tobaccos has also been a big player in the American tobacco ideal, which I believe is where they drew at least some of their inspiration. So, given this tradition of tobacco, and the love for it, could it get better? Enter the Danes.

Mac Baren has set out to pay homage to the American tobacco producers with their new line, 7 Seas. Three new blends were created for this line: 7 Seas White, Royal, and Gold. I'll focus on 7 Seas Royal for this review, but if you guys want, I have tins of White and Gold coming in soon and I can share thoughts about those as well.

When I cracked open the tin of Royal, I was hit with a sweet scent. Vanilla and chocolate were predominant, and it smelled almost like a marble cream cake. The tobacco seemed a bit on the moist side, so I decided to let it air out for about an hour. Unlike some PG laden American tobaccos, this tobacco dried out nicely. Loading the pipe was effortless, and I used the three step method for this one. First light was very easy, and it seemed like it would burn very evenly from the start. True light revealed that this was in fact the case, and it burned all the way down with four relights (it should be noted that two of said relights were due to my inattention). The taste was wonderful. There was a little of the marble cream cake taste there, but the tobacco made itself known. I'm not 100% sure of the tobaccos used, but I'm guessing there is Va in there, as well as sweetened Cavendish. That's what I taste, at least. The flavoring itself, as I said was subtle but definitely there. Great sweet flavors balanced very well with the sweetness of the tobaccos. Neither one vied for dominance, but rather coexisted in a tiny little tobacco Shangri La that happened to be confined to a 1.5" deep chamber... that was on fire.

If you are thinking about trying this tobacco out with the mindset that it's going to be a Captain Black clone, think again. Take the Danish passion for tobacco, and add their ideas of what an American tobacco should be, and you get 7 Seas. It's perfectly balanced, in my opinion, and smokes like a champ. Not too sweet, but not bland by any means. A Danish spin on American tobaccos... what a wonderful idea.
  2. noflex

noflex Member

May 8, 2009
    Thanks Eric, nice review. Have to try them all :thumbsu:
  3. Longrifle3006

Longrifle3006 Member

Jun 26, 2010
    I'm sold on the 7 Seas Royal, gonna order a few more tins soon to cellar. I think you hit the nail on the head with your comments. I agree, flavorful but balanced.

Great review. You said it better than I could. :goodjob:
  4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009

and many thanks for a superbly written interesting and informative review. I take your point about not looking for a Captain Black clone, but having just finished and really enjoyed a pack of Catain Black Gold this new one is definitely on my "must try" list.

Thanks for the review and yes, please do reviews on the others you have,

Thanks again

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Great review as usual Erick!

It's interesting to see how MB's Seven Seas has gone toe-to-toe with Lane's Captain Black, right down to the naming of its blend variants: White, Royal, Gold (these three being the most popular of the CB line).
  6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Great tobacco review. I've not heard of these, so I await the rest of your reviews...thank you!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.