Mac baren the solent

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

I just had my 1st bowl of mac baren The solent. It is mentioned that this is a light english blend with a bit of latakia but it doesnt smell like old leather so the light part must be true hehe.

Lighted it up in my ben wade thinking that it was a english and my ben wade is dedicated to english.
    Lighted it up tampered and from there I was able to smoke it all with out a relight, this is my 1st bowl that i only light the tobacco once, I was really happy about that. I even tampered it down 3 times to see if it would extinguish but no.

Unfortunately i was expecting a english feel but it was as if i was smoking vanilla cream or some long bottom leaf. I had the same taste and same smell while smoking and now that i am finished it has the same after taste as vanilla cream or long bottom leaf.

Anyways all in all it was a good smoke and i was very impressed at how it burned and it did bite just a tinny bit but not that much.

This was a sample so I dont know if ill be bying this in the future. I do have enought for another bowl and i will for sure try it again.

Thanks

David

hatman and OrganizdMadman like this.
  2. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Dave----I haven't had this for a while. The Solent Mixture was one I found unique----It reminded me of Plum Cake, English---it was hard to define, and as I remember there was alot going on during the smoking session. I still have the empty tin floating around some place----it was a unique blend,

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Nice review!

4. David Emond

maybe its because im outside and in minus 30 degree weather that i cant smell or really taste the tobacco, all i could think of is that i was exactly like vanilla cream. still a good smoke :)

5. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I think Solent is more English-like than English. Kinda sorta English, but kinda sort Plumcake. It's favorite non-flake tobacco.

David Emond likes this.
  6. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

+1 on the kinda-english

One of my favorites, too. In my MacB lineup, it falls in right behind Scottish Mixture.

Sent using Forum Runner

David Emond likes this.
  7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the Scottish Mixture, but I have had the Mixture Flake.... which was my favorite flake until I got hold of some GH Best Brown #2. Have you tried the Mixture Flake? If so, how does Scottish Mixture compare? (I'm not working on the tinned wing of the cellar, and I need some candidates... so many blends, so little money).

8. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

I've just recently got some of this, thanks to a great trade with SouthBound. Had it once in a briar and didn't quite care for it. I was expecting more English. BUT! Given the lack of englishness, I tried it in a Cob and it tasted MUCH better. It has kind of a tangy taste that plays melody, while the Lat plays 3rd harmony. I almost consider this a fall season blend. Just enough left over tang from summer, but just enough Lat to forewarn of winter's coming. Good blend! Good blend!

albot9 likes this.
  9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Glad to hear you're liking it, archer.

Sent using Forum Runner

10. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

@ RTO. I've never had the flake, but I love the mixture.

Sent using Forum Runner

11. David Emond

I guess ill need a few years of smoking before i can write like 2nd and 3rd harmonys hehe. Had some roll cake club blend today and i must say that after trying 3 different mac barens i can only state that they all taste and smell the same.

12. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

hahaha... It's just about knowing what you're looking for. There's a particular flavour that lat gives, you can taste it in everything from 10 Russians to Frog Morton. If you pay attention to it the next time you smoke it, you'll notice that hint of Latakia in there. I only write "3rd harmony" because I'm a musician... lol.

David Emond likes this.
  13. David Emond

yeah with time ill be able to tell the difference. Im also looking forward to the summer time, im thinking that the cold may stop me from fully tasting the tobacco but i may be wrong also.

14. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

You know, I never thought of the cold stopping me from tasting stuff, but it definitely keeps me inside more, and seeing as how I can't smoke inside (unless at the tobacconist), that keeps me from smoking as much. You live in a wonderful place, in my opinion; I've spent a lot of time in Quebec, and especially Quebec City, my favorite city I've yet visited, and I envy you. I am a real winter nut, though, so my opinion is biased. Planning a move to Alaska, so I'll be even farther north than you, lol. And in Fairbanks, I'm wondering what in the hell I'll do about smoking if I can't find a rental that allows it, seeing as how you get temps as low as 50 below for as long as, oh, say, six months out of the year. But I love it, so I guess I'm crazy!

Glad to see a little write-up on Solent. It's good stuff, and it's definitely very nuanced. I can't quite place it myself, but there's certainly a sort-of-English thing going on there, and I could swear I even taste some burley. I mean really, it's all over the place. I have a tin of it that I haven't even gotten 1/4 of the way through (partly because their tins are so large), but I do enjoy it from time to time.

David Emond likes this.
  15. David Emond

Nicee id love to visit Alaska They have some nice towns up there. When you were in Quebec city did you see the Red Bull Crushed ice races?

Its very popular up here :)
    Ither my taste buds are out of wack or it is really the cold that is affecting my taste and smell of the tobacco.
    My 1st tobacco was macB vanilla cream, no taste, i can only smell the vanilla from my clothes once im inside. So im looking forward to the summer time.

16. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

I've been meaning to try this solent and plumcake for awhile. Nice review David.

David Emond likes this.
  17. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I never did go to that. I love Old Quebec very much, and we went snow tubing at Chateau Frontenac a lot, which was always fun. It's just an absolutely beautiful town, and I would love to live there. Oh, and one thing I loved about Montreal was the underground city network where you can get from place to place in the winter without going out into the cold. They need one of those in Fairbanks. :byg:

Vive la Québec! Il y a beaucoup villes, mais Vieux Québec est la plus belle dans Canada. À mon avis, bien sûr. Sorry, my French has gotten rather rusty, but I wanted to throw a little bit in there since I'm talking to a Québecois. :toast:

And yeah, again, glad to see a Solent write-up. It's a great mixture.

David Emond likes this.
  18. David Emond

So i had another go at this blend today. I had enought in my sampler to have a second bowl and i DGT this in my doodler. I liked it even more this time around, still a bit bity but it was a good smoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.