1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Baren- Vanilla Cream Flake or Loose Cut?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArmedOctopus, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Does it make a difference? or is it just a cut preference? Seems to me like the flake would have a bit more intense vanilla flavor......

2. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

The flake actually has a bit more tobacco taste in my experience. The vanilla cream has a bit nicer room note. Both are good IMHO but I enjoy smoking the flake a bit more.

3. mrpipster

mrpipster Member

I prefer the flake.

4. ArmedOctopus

Why though? Just the novelty of having a flake?

5. Gig

Gig Member

As was stated because the flake has more tobacco taste that the heavier top cased loose cut blend :)

6. mrpipster

mrpipster Member

Well to me the flake has more of a vanilla flavor.

7. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

I popped open a tin of the flake a few weeks ago that I had been sitting on for almost a year. I really can't taste or smell any vanilla, only figs and a strange yeasty bread taste. My wife said it smelled like figs and vanilla. There was a strange sweet smell that hung around in my beard for over 24 hours. The second bowl was a little better, but still not to my liking. I have not tried the loose cut to compare. There is a bit more nicotine here than most Cavendish aromatics, but I found little body or taste. I had some high hopes for this as a pleasant aromatic medium strength Virginia flake with a touch of Cavendish to mellow things out. Unfortunately there were some strange flavors in this one that really put me off. It's hard to explain, but it was rather bland to me and the tastes that were there were unpleasant, yet packing more nic. than the extremely mild taste would have you think. I don't mean to scare you off, as others really like this tin, but It was not for me.

8. ArmedOctopus

I appreciate your insight. I shy away from high nicotine blends.

DaveyBoy likes this.
  9. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

I am a nicotine lightweight, but I would not call this blend strong by any means, just stronger than the Cavendish Aero's that I was more used too. I could take back to back bowls of Smoker's Pride Vanilla without a second thought, and I made the mistake of thinking Vanilla Cream would be the same. I was snorking every other puff, and the light body of the smoke deceived me until I started to feel my head swim. I tolerate higher strength blends in exchange for a full taste, but so far I have had a hard time getting enough taste out of this one to justify the smoke.

10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I prefer the flake for a couple of reasons, the tin fits perfectly in my pipe case, and the flakes in an open tin usually maintain enough moisture to still smoke well down to the last flake.

I wouldn't be afraid of the nicotine in this blend, it isn't a PG loaded blend that will never dry out, and may or may not contain any actual tobacco leaves, so there is some nic there, but I'm sure that just not over puffing shouldn't give you the spins.

Vanilla Creme Flake is one of the few aromatics I smoke, and there is always a tin somewhere nearby. It has a great room note, and a great flavor and decent, though not overwhelming nic content, qualities that are IMHO hard to find in one blend.

User4408, TheLonePipeman and TedVig like this.
  11. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

I've only had the flake, and it's the strongest vanilla scented blend I had. It's not exceptionally strong, but it won't leave you unsatisfied like some of the aromatics out there.

12. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Finally opened he tin of loose cut that I have sitting here for a couple of months. Very nice flavor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.