Mac Baren Virginia #1

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JD1969, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD1969

JD1969 Member

So I stopped in at a local B&M to see what they had. Of all the local places they had the most selection. Half and Half, Carters, PA, 3 Star Blue and few others I forget. On the advice of the guy at the counter I tried a can of Mac Baren Virginia #1. I have only smoked one bowl on my way to work (30 min drive). I must say, at this early point I am not all that impressed. In the can it smells like hay with a slight tobacco smell. In the pipe it burns nice, stays lite pretty well, but I am having a hard time finding much flavor. It really reminds me of cigs, both the room note and the flavor. This is my first Virginia so maybe I did not pick a good one to start. I did order some Frog Mortons because of a suggestion on this board. Of course I will be giving this a more fair shot later on, I know I need to smoke it slow, I did not get any bite with this first bowl. BTW it was smoked in a new MM cob. Any input from the more well seasoned vets?

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

Not the best choice for newer pipe smokers. I tried several MBs when I frirst started and all I could do was shake my head wondering what people saw in them. A year later I am starting to be able to appreciate the MacB's.

I would stick to the OTC blends for a while and then try some Lane's and Peter Stokkebye blends.

3. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I hope this isn't too OT, but you may want to give Orlick Golden Sliced a try. At $6 for a 50g tin, you're not risking much, but you may find the reward worthwhile.
    As you may know, I'm a new pipe smoker myself, but I found Orlick Golden Sliced easy to light and keep lit. It certainly had a slight aroma of hay to it, but to me, there was nothing in the flavor but pure, mostly Virginia tobacco. I was surprised how much I enjoyed OGS and I'll be keeping it in my regular rotation.

Bri2k

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

If you want to try a virginia I would recommend you get a few ounces of McClelland #5100 Red Cake, it's a very light, mild and sweet red virginia tobacco.

5. JD1969

JD1969 Member

Well looks like I will just seal this up in a mason jar and cellar it for awhile, or maybe use it in trade if anyone likes it. Does anyone use it to cut other tobaccos they find too strong (I am thinking an overly aromatic)?

6. Luckistrykes

Luckistrykes Member

i made the same mistake, with virginia #1. it's really blan and lacking any sort of depth. So now i only use it to blend with, and really thats about it.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm an M.B. freak and the virginia #1 is the least of the line for me .There's so many vir. blends out there . The Hamborger Veermaster from dan tobacco I'd always recmd

Smoking Horst likes this.
  8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I haven't tried #1 yet, but I can say that if you are relatively new to pipes, any Virginia (may) disappoint you. Most newbies, like myself, btw, might find them a bit thin and cigarette like. They are 'nuanced' and don't bowl you over...most beginners are looking for that(and smoke them 'wrong', as a result)...A ciggy smoker may as well be looking to get away from that flavor profile. Nothing wrong to cellaring it for now. Even longtime pipe smokers disagree on favorite blends. Good Luck on your search!

9. JD1969

JD1969 Member

So I stopped back in the B&M I bought the Virginia#1 this morning. The owner asked how I liked it and being honest I told him, I was totally surprised when he told me he was happy to exchange for some 3 Star Blue, which I have had and much prefer. The guy there was really great and said that since I purchased the Virginia #1 at his suggestion, that he wanted me to have something I would enjoy. I never brought up an exchange, I was planning on buying another tin and told him that, he insisted on the exchange. It is not often you get that kind of customer service anymore. The guys shop is small and he does not carry a huge assortment, but I can say that I will support his shop whenever possible.
    JD

10. woody

woody Admin Admin

Sounds like good old fashioned customer service. Glad to hear there are still good merchants around. [​IMG]

11. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Oddly enough, I find that all the Mac Baren blends bite hard, but this one bites least of all, and if you smoke it slow and easy has a marvelously sweet flavor...

12. Silverado

Silverado Member

That's awesome customer service!

As for the Virginia #1, I also find that it's very similar to smoking a cigarette, with a light simple VA taste, but more sweetness thanks to the casing.

13. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

Outstanding - and I bet he got himself a longtime, loyal customer.
    :D

14. Marc

Marc Active Member

I adamantly support my local tobacconist and would encourage all pipe smokers to do the same if they have one close. You never know when Big Brother will shut down the online retailers or make it very difficult to purchase across state lines by mail. They are a refuge in the storm of government oversight!

15. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Wow! That's great! You don't find much of that in this me me me world anymore. My Pop always said the best thing the small business owner could compete against the big dogs was with service. :blink:

16. Roddy

Roddy Member

Most of McB's stuff likes to bite me too. Mixing in a little, but not much, burley helps calm it down.

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Congratulations on learning about Virginias and finding out about a good B&M at the same place!!!
    I learned pipe smoking on Burley blends...after unpleasant visits with aromatics...then tried the English blends (that I liked, but the wife hated)...and then started playing around with Virginias. The local B&M gave me the same MB #1 to try. The first bowl I wanted to throw back at him.
    It BITES if you smoke too fast. It tastes like NOTHING if you smoke too fast. It GROWS on you if you use a small bowl and forget about trying to get anything out of it other than the flavor.
    Put it away for a while and come back to it in a moment when you really aren't looking for anything and I think you might change your mind about it...I know I did.
    I kind of like this stuff. Sometimes for mixing...sometimes straight. And it's still cheaper than most of the others.
    Your B&M did a great favor to you. Try everything and enjoy what you find.
    Dan

18. Brian

Brian Member

I had a tin of MacBaren VA#1. I agree with others that it was kind of bland. I smoked some of it. I tried blending it with others. I finally put the remaining second half in a mason jar to visit later. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't great. I like Virginias and other more mild and subtle blends, so it isn't that I don't like that kind of tobacco. I like other MacBaren blends too.

19. PipesnBikes

PipesnBikes Member

IT has been a long time since I have had Va#1 strangely enough I always want to try it again because the aroma in the tin and the taste is to my liking at times, the tongue bite was more than I could handle and I can handle most anything nowadays except maybe Flying Dutchman or is it Scorching Dutchman.

If you would like something a little sweet and easy on the tongue with a low N factor give McC Aurora a shot, I guess it is like 5100. For a more complex less sweet Va try GLP Union Square (especially good when opened, recovered then left alone for 6 months. FVF 5 years ago and before is the absolute nuts, still #1 in my book but definately rivaled now by (GLP, C&D and McC). FVF ages well also. I don't know why but I still think the tins are better than the bulk boxes. I am by the way a huge fan of GH Sweet Rum Twist (use your own discretion, taste and tolerances as a guideline when deciding on this type of Va. It will however never bite but it's got some N, the Rum just takes the edge off. Oh yeah not all Va but really good is Solani Silver Flake. I will now SHUT TFU and smoke some SRT in a Pete Rosslare. Wild Turkey Rye on the side. I have already been tapping that tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.