1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Baren's Navy Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Falconeer, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Hi All,

Mac Baren's Navy Flake was for me an impulse purchase – I actually went into the tobacconists to buy a pack of pipe cleaners. As with all new things there's always a 50/50 chance of things turning out to be a bit of a bummer. So how did it go for me?

Described as a Burley, Cavendish, Virginia mixture of medium strength with a slightly aromatic room note, Navy Flake sounded promising to me.

When I opened the tin I found the citrus fruity aroma attractive, and when I folded the lightish coloured flakes I was somewhat surprised at the texture – verging ever so slightly to the dry side. The tobacco was easy to light initially and burned cleanly all the way through my pipe smoking down to the very last shred.

To me the strength was on the mild side of medium, but the first pipe smoked outdoors in a Falcon gave no hint of tongue bite and it produced a very satisfying smoke, retaining its slight citrus (orange? Pineapple?) taste all the way through the pipe.

I smoked this tobacco for a week, in Falcons Meers and Cobs and enjoyed it in all three types of pipe. For British smokers with long memories I'd say it was a superior lighter take on St. Bruno Empire Flake and reminiscent of John Sinclair Flake/ Players Sherwood.

For me it'd make a good sound everyday tobacco.

Best as usual

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    Good, sound, everyday tobacco is right where I put Navy Flake too, Gerry. It's nuanced enough not to be boring, but plain enough to not be real demanding.
  3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Reassuring Bovine Moderation Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    One of the few MacB products I like - and I like it a lot. It has enough flavor for a serious pipesmoker but it's a thin and dry enough flake that a newguy can figure out in a few tries.

A friend sent me a sealed tin with 5-6 years on it to see for myself if it changes as little with age as many claim. I will open it soon and report on old vs. fresh MNF. I like that little citrusy twang and if time takes it away then I can see why folks might say it doesn't age well.

Easy flake to fold/stuff for a rookie.

The gold foil presentation is quite nice.

The price is right.
  4. Marc

Marc Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Not a bad smoke in my opinion, it just taste like all Mac Barren tobaccos to me, the same.
  5. Brian

Brian Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I smoked a tin last year. I liked it. I kind of miss it now and then. I agree with how nice the presentation is, liking the cleanly sliced and arranged flakes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.