MacB Golden Extra Versus MacB Burley London Blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I smoke both regularly, but I've never had a jar of each opened at the same time. Well, I do now and I think that the comparison is rather interesting. I find these to be very similar, yet distinctly different at the same time.

If you're a Burleyphile, I think you'd like both since they both have that wonderful chocolate and nut flavor you'd expect from a good Burley; however, both have unique qualities that set them apart. I think Golden Extra (aka Golden Blend) is lighter and sweeter, and has more of a chocolate note to it. Burley London Blend (aka London Blend), on the other hand, has a deeper and more earthy quality with a tantalizing hint of honey and something else that I can figure out.

Both are outstanding blends, although I don't think either could be accused of being exciting or nuanced. Both tend to appeal to those who seek a simple and merely relaxing bowl of tobacco. If you enjoy a good Burley blend, then I think you owe it to yourself to give these a try. (And if they're already in your cellar and regular rotation, they you know just what I' talking about).

Mington, BradNTX and woody like this.
  2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Nice post! I occasionally smoke a bowl of Burley London but I missed the boat on GE. I'm going to pick up some more and do a side-to-side comparison because I think you're right that if someone enjoys one, the other shouldn't be too far off.

RTOdhner likes this.
  3. RTOdhner

I think you're gonna like the GE if you give it another go. (I like it a bit more than the BLB). I like all of the MacB "basic" blends (i.e. GE, BLB, Symphony, and Scottish Mixture), but Scottish Mixture is still my favorite. I want to cellar at least three pounds of BLB and Symphony, and at least six pounds of Scottish Mixture and GE.

4. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I haven't tried the BLB yet but will in the near future. But the GE is a blend I tend to pick when I just don't know what I want. It's a very satisfying light smoke. I have somewhat replaced it with both of the Uhle's blends that I go to lately. 00 & Perfection Plug Burley. They both have a depth of flavor that GE just doesn't get to.

RTOdhner likes this.
  5. RTOdhner

I must try these Uhle's blends.

Mington likes this.
  6. dmkerr

Taste is a personal thing, but I agree with Paul. Those two Uhle blends are head and shoulders above either of the two Mac B's. I smoke a lot of the 00 and it's my favorite burley. The PP isn't far behind.

RTOdhner likes this.
  7. dmkerr

Symphony is, to me, the single masterpiece in the Mac B stable... and what a masterpiece it is! As long as I'm careful to puff slowwwwwly, this is one of my favorite overall blends.

Ted Vig and RTOdhner like this.
  8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I always try to take your recommendations. I "won" a 7 oz sealed tin of Symphony on the 'Bay that is from the early '80's (supposedly). It has a screw type metal top. I hope it is still good. It was only 19 bucks so I took a chance.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110881551154?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    Paul

9. dmkerr

You'll stop once you hate one of 'em. :xd:

Bound to happen.

10. RTOdhner

I just smoked some BLB in my trusty Pete XL02, and it is really quite interesting how one pipe can smoke so much differently than another. Sas is right when he says that each block of briar has intangible traits that allows for one block to make a better smoking pipe than another. Anyhow, the difference between the BLB when I smoked it in one of my cobs and the BLB smoked in the Pete was striking. This time the BLB had a depth of character that I've never noticed before, and it has got me reconsidering whether or not I think GE is actually better than BLB. Ah, the joy of pipe smoking...

11. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Tough call... both are great. For me, BLB is less prone for sure.... :msty:

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I love some Golden Extra, and have a couple of pounds of it. I like the BLB too, but have not ordered it in bulk. I decided to go with Solani ABF when I was buying cellar quantities of Burley last. I have not tried the Uhle's, but am determined to do so soon.

Good Burley is just satisfying. I just put my jar of Solani Silver Flake back in the cabinet, after smoking it for the last two days. You guys have made me dig out a jar of Burley to take to work tomorrow. :bing:

Mington and RTOdhner like this.
  13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Uhle's #00 is an awesome burley.

14. RTOdhner

I bought a cabinet about five months ago to use as a cellar, and I'm just about out of room. Now this crazy talk about Uhle's... I'm gonna have to buy another cabinet. As it is, I've got about 10 years worth of tobacco on hand so now the wife is really gonna think I've flipped my lid. TAD is an evil affliction, and you are all evil little enablers! I love you guys! :bing:

Ted Vig, BradNTX and Mington like this.
  15. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I just ordered 4oz of BLB. Can't wait till it arrives. I'm a big fan of GE.

RTOdhner and Ted Vig like this.
  16. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I'm Going to give ge another go.

RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.