MacB Latakia Blend - v- MacB Solent Mixture

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've been checking out these two blends, and it seems like the only difference is that Latakia Blend is a roll cake type toby while Solent Mixture is ribbon cut. Has anybody tried these blends, and if so are they all that different?

2. Albert

Albert Active Member

I have a tin of the solent mixture and I really like it a lot! Very well balanced, nice "plumcake"-ish flavor, latakia in the background but very well played. I have no experience with Latakia blend.

3. RTOdhner

I'm kind of in the same boat you are: no Latakia Blend experience, and a tin of Solent Mixture on order. I've heard good things about both, and looking at the ingredients they appear to be similar. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and try both. This toby research bidniss is exhausting! :bing:

4. Albert

Albert Active Member

Pleasantly exhausting. :toast:

5. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Once I got over the fact that Latakia Blend has very little Latakia in it, I actually liked it a lot.
    Haven't tried the Solent Mixture, but it makes me think of Soilent Green. I wonder what's in it?

6. Albert

Albert Active Member

It people. thats what makes it taste GRRREAT!

7. RTOdhner

Baccy is dieing. Solent Mixture is people!

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

MB Latikia blend is my absolute favorite blend thats available . I find it complex , flavorfull [ med ] burns killer and the room note my wife says is kinda like incense [ whatever that means ] . It's slightly spicy and builds complexity through the bowl . I didnt realize at the time that latakia blend was in bulk [ maybe it wasnt back then ? ] so I was doing the MB GE and still am . The latakia Blend is complex to me and isnt a " go to " cause I'd want to sit and mello out whenever I smoke it . MB GE , I can smoke at any time . The amount of Latakia in it is nearly a whisper . That being said ... I have never tried Solent mixture . I would think if Solent had any Latakia in it that you could taste ... then that would be a difference right there . Sorry I cant compare and help ... but the MB Latakia is so damn good . I'm out of it but if I wasnt I'd have sent ya some . Id say bag them both if possible . MB LB is a 5 star blend .. imo

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I have a tin of Solent - I'll crack it open and report back. Latakia Mixture is a virginia based with their perique-y cavendish, and a pinch of latakia for body. Sweet, medium/mild, and delicious. I think solent is more like a "proper" english mixture.

I'll tell you in a few minutes!

I know StrongIrish smokes a lot of Solent.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Solent looks and smells like plumcake - 60/40 golden browns vs Black shards and chunks. Smells like a light topping - actually the top notes remind me of presbyterian.

hatman likes this.
  11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

This is pushing into medium english - enough latakia to almost dominate. There's some fruity/sweet flavors with it. I little heavier in lat than say, Jubilee, from McClelland. Certainly more lat than the latakia mixture. This is what plumcake would be like if plumcake weren't a bitey, thin, crappy blend. This will fatigue my palate eventually, whereas the latakia blend doesn't. Tasty and rich.

12. RTOdhner

Hhhmm, I guess I'm going to have to pick up a tin of Latakia Blend and give it a run. More research. Work, work, work, work, work..... this toby research is just soooo taxing. Sometimes I just don't know how I keep going :rolleyes:.

hatman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.