1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

MacB Vintage Syrian

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Having now smoked five bowls of this wonderful stuff, I believe I have found a Lat-heavy blend that I actually like. "Actually like" is selling this blend short - I love this stuff. The mixture is about 50% Latakia, with the other half of the mix being comprised of Kentucky, Virginia, and Oriental leaf. It has the flavor I've come to expect from a good English blend - but with a much heavier dose of Latakia than I normally prefer. However, in the case of MacB Vintage Syrian, I think it is done very well. I attribute this to the use of Syrian Latakia instead of Cyprus Latakia. There is a huge difference between the two, so I've discovered.

The tin note is just wonderful, and it smokes really well in a cob (and that is important since it seems like I rarely smoke my briars anymore), It comes in bulk at a really great price, and it has a room note that I'd actually describe as pleasant. This is one that I'm planning to cellar. You owe it to yourself to try this one.

hatman likes this.
  2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

It is one of my favorites now too, and I'm so glad I tried it. Most of the Lat blends I like are smokey and have some interesting notes of oriental or Virginia mixed in, but the Mac B Syrian has a slight sweetness that really brings it all together too. I plan to buy some bulk too and can't recommend it enough.

Good review RT. :th1:

3. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Thanks. I have found I really like Syrian latakia, so I will give it a try.

4. RTOdhner

Mars Cigars has it for about $35 a pound.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Hmm, might have to try some of it.

6. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

This is great stuff, I find it slightly more brash, and much more satisfying in the vitamin N department than the McClelland Syrian offerings.

I actually lucked out with this blend, as I was buying it by the tin with some regularity. When my grandmother-in-law came up from California to visit, she asked my wife if there was any pipe-tobacco she could bring me. Seeing a tin of HH Vintage Syrian on my desk, thats what the wife told her to grab. Much to my pleasure, she grabbed the one-pound crock instead of the expected tin, but the best part is CBSA didn't make her pay a red cent of duties on it!

7. RTOdhner

Score!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  8. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Boy howdy!!!:beck:

9. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I just tried this myself from a sample I received from the give one take one. This is great stuff. I'll be adding this to my permanent list of tobaccos to buy.

10. RTOdhner

I'm trying to figure out why so many people seem to have a beef w/MacB blends. I've tried Solent Mixture, Plum Cake, Golden Extra, Symphony, Navy Flake, Mixture Flake, Roll Cake, Club Blend, London Blend, Vintage Syrian, Vanilla Flake, and Virginia Flake. While I was not so impressed with the Vanilla Flake and Virginia Flake, I really enjoy their other blends. I'm of the opinion that a pipe should be smoked slowly and savored, and when smoked in this manner I've never gotten any bite or other type of bad smoke. With the exception of Mixture Flake and Club Blend, and maybe Vintage Syrian, I wouldn't say that any of them were particularly complex or nuanced - just good enjoyable smokes at really great prices.

11. jeff394

jeff394 Member

Is there a big difference between the Syrian and Cyprian Latakia? I think every English blend I've smoked so far contains Cyprian Latakia.

12. RTOdhner

I think there is. I think the Syrian is a lot smoother and smokier. Maybe richer might be a good word.

13. jhe888

jhe888 Member

Syrian seems creamier and smoother than Cyprian to me. Syrian has more a campfire and woody flavor to me. But there are variations within each.

14. Waino

Waino Active Member

Vintage Syrian is smooth and elegant. Perfect evening tobacco to the yard... when man needs a silent hour in his favorite chair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.