1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

MacB Virginia Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by RTOdhner, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

MacB VA Flake is a simple VA flake toby that appears to MacB's answer to OGS, Erinmore, or GAF. It comes in a yellow and white tin, wit a gold foil inner wrapper. The flakes are uniform in shape, have a beautiful golden brown hue, and a very pleasant lemon-hay tin note. Given about minutes or so to dry, they rub out very nicely, and they are perfect for the fold and stuff method. The light easily, stay lighted all the way down, and I think they smoke equally well in either a cob or a briar. The room note is pure toby, not offensive but not all that pleasant either, and the flavor is a nice mellow Virginia - you know, a delicate hay-like flavor. All-in-all, a pleasant smoke.

And a pleasant smoke is as far as it goes. I've smoked a tiin of this now, and I've found nothing particularly noteworthy about it. It costs about the same as either OGS or Erinmore, but I don't think it's as good as either. I haven't had the pleasure of trying GAF, but if half the reviews be true than MacB VA Flake sure isn't going to stack up against GAF either. It's not a bad smoke, and I can see how a person would want to cellar it but onl for one reason - it can be bought in bulk at about $35 a pound from Mars Cigar, which has the best price that I've found for it.

However, with so many notably better flake tobies for the same price or better, bulk or tin, I don't see the advantage in this. However, your mileage may vary. At least give it a try because it's not bad. Unfortunately, it's not much more than mediocre either.

Jay likes this.
  2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Nice review RT

3. Capt

Capt Active Member

MacBaren Va's bite the heck out of my tongue. How was this one as far as bite?

4. RTOdhner

No bite. The trick to MacB tobies is sipping them.

5. RTOdhner

Thanks. Yet another reason why I buy a tin or so before I decide to cellar it. I'd have been most unhappy if I bought a pound worth. Every now and then, I get the urge for just a plain VA flake. MacB VA Flake doesn't work so well when it comes to satisfying that urge. However, flakes like OGS,LNF, Erinmore, and Hamborger Veermaster all do.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I was wanting to try it but wont now . I've never cared for their Va#1 , so I'm sure this is about the same in flake form . Good review man .. I can trust it cause you and I are about on the same page when it comes to va's . Your list of good ones are my va go to's .... minus the erinmore .. add PSLTF

7. RTOdhner

I figure I need another five pounds of bulk to get the basic cellar on line. Once I get there I still want to do about a pound of bulk per month, but I also want to start building a "tin wing" to the cellar. OGS, Veermaster, Erinmore (yes, I likes the Erinmore I does), and probably GAF are going to be in there. I haven't tried GAF yet, but the rave reviews it gets here on PSF leads me to believe it's probably gonna be one I like. I guess I'll know for sure when I get around to trying it. I should have put LTF on the list of VA flake to which MacB VA Flake cannot hold a candle. Simply an oversight on my part - but a big one. So was leaving Pete University Flake off the list.

I hope nobody here on PSF construed my review of MacB VA Flake as a negative critique of MacB flake tobies in general, because it wasn't meant as such. MacB has some flake and medallion tobies that are just brilliant. Mixture Flake, Navy Flake, Club Blend, and even Roll Cake are (IMHO) some really fantastic tobies. It's just that I find their pure VA flake tobies like Virginia Flake and Vanilla Flake to be lacking, and I think they cold both benefit from some Burley. Although if they added a good dose of Perique, I think the Virginia Flake would make a very nice Va/Per.

8. Charles

Charles Member

Then get a tin or a couple ounces of straight Perique and mix it up! Thats the best thing other than age you can do for a toby you're not super stoked about. I make anywhere to 3-5 different blends when I wanna mix it up. Let em sit for about 6 months then try them all...figure out what works and if possible modify the other jars to match. I've come up with some great combos and have been able to almost like everything I've ever bought....almost. A few are just hopeless and end up in the bin.

9. Jay

Jay Active Member

Thanks for the review, I have had a tin of this in my drawer for a bout 6-7 months and have been curious. I can wait a little longer until I open it now.

10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Same here. Thanks for the review RT.
    I'll take Jay's approach and give this
    a few more months. I'm fairly certain
    you'll love GAF. Almost all do (except
    for Beale, that oddball!) ;)

11. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

I found a pound of this at a local b&m for 25 dollars. There 100 gram tin prices is 22, so I picked it up. Sure hope I like it better than you did! If not, I can mix it.

12. RTOdhner

I thought about that. I think it has promise, just not in it's factory form. I might just buy another tin of MacB VA Flake, a tin of ABF (which I plan on getting anyway), some Perique, and some Latakia, and then just experiment.

13. RTOdhner

Let it age, and let us know. I think it does have some promise, especially since it's the only pure VA flake that I can find at under $40 a pound. It could very well improve with age, but I'm not sure I'm ready to invest the coin to find out. Then again, like I said in my previous post, it might be worth it just for the purpose of experimenting.

I failed to mention in the post, that it's not too bad as a morning smoke. I really didn't give it a fair shake in that respect, but I did try it a couple of times in the morning and it did seem to hold promise there. But as a regular smoke in a regular rotation it falls short, at least for me. MacB Mixture Flake and MacB Navy Flake are two of my favorite flakes, and they both cost the same as MacB VA Flake. Stokkebye LNF is another favorite, and it costs about the same. Stokkebye LTF, another favorite flake, is just marginally more expensive. From a bulk cellaring perspective, it doesn't seem to make sense to buy it when there are bulk flake tobies that I like much better and they cost the same. Ditto on tinned tobies like OGS, Erinmore, University Flake, and Veermaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.