1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

MacBaren acquires Sutliff division

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Bent, May 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Hey guys,

Last night I went to the MacBaren website and they had an article saying they purchased the Sutliff division of Altadis in order to increase their American market share.

I really don't know what to think of this. I get it, but why purchase a division of Altadis. Altadis is known for good cigars but dismal pipe tobacco. Every Altadis blend I've tried is soaked with humectants and has a "wet towel" taste. I don't know if the Hearth and Home blends still use Altadis pipe tobacco, but when they did they were a huge disappointment. I'm hoping this acquisition means a better line for Sutliff, now a separate entity from Altadis, but then I also wonder if MacBaren really has a grasp of the American Market.

2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Nov 8, 2012
    I dunno, but I haven't smoked a bad Sutliff tin yet. I politely disagree with your assesment of their flavor, though tastes do differ and you have probably smoked more varieties than I have. I know MacBaren is a respected name in pipe tobacco, so I don't see how this acquisition could be a bad thing for either party.
    ArmedOctopus and psquared like this.
  3. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Mar 27, 2013
    I really enjoy sutliff and while i know they dont have the name recognition that other brands have, i think they make great products.
    martydrmr likes this.
  4. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Altadis makes the Benjamin Hartwell line. Of which, Evening Stroll is awesome.
    highstump and ruffinogold like this.
  5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    My understanding is that MB Bought Altadis pipe tobacco division [ if that's the correct word ? ] .. Maybe Altadis pipe tobacco mfg is called sutliff . From what I read Altadis is out of the pipe tobacco biz in a sense and is just doing their other stuff that they do very well .

MacBaren Must have a grasp on the American Market cause they've been selling their goods here for more years than I've been alive . Any real tobacconist has their available blends in bulk as well as their tin line , which has doubled in 12 years .
    As the others have said above me , the Sutliff line is pretty good stuff and their Match blends are better than any ones made to date . We can think all we want about how it will change things or not but the reality is we'll have to wait and see .

Btw , I'm sure whatever you smoke sucks .... How does that sound ? Nobody wants to hear it at PSF . You may be more lengthy and less blunt than that but you come across the same way , though I don't know if you mean too
    Smokey Tom and Coda like this.
  6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Yep, that is a good description of their stuff. I hope MacBarens improves the quality.
  7. Buckshot Two

Buckshot Two Member

Feb 15, 2013
    ....but Wet Towel Flake is one of my favorites! :poke:
    Smokey Tom likes this.
  8. Dubble Bubble

Dubble Bubble Member

May 19, 2013
    I like their,oh dude,I am getting old... I will go check...hold on... Yeah,OK I'm back. I like the Union Leader match. I think McBaren did well on the deal. I remember reading somewhere that Gawith Hoggarth bought MacBaren. Spelled it right the second time.

On the GH website it lists MacBaren so I dunno what's going on.:bing:
    highstump and ruffinogold like this.
  9. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Does anyone know if the "Sutliff" sale to Mac Baren did include all the pipe tobaccos (bulk, "mass market" (Super Value", etc.) previously made by Altadis?

Altadispipe.com still lists everything, including Sutliff.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.