MacBaren- Any good English or aros?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArmedOctopus, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I want to find a good tin of MacBaren that I always keep on hand. Just tried plumcake and it wasnt my thing. I have some Vanilla Creme but havent tried it yet. Just curious, do they have any other great aros or any English tobaccos you guys would recommend?

jason1977 likes this.
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

One of their best aros is definitivily Vanilla Flake! There is also Navy Flake, but it is a lot less cased.
    If you mean English by latakia, well, there is not really a good one, unless you want to try HH Syrian. But then, imagine Scottish Mixture with latakia. Some like it, and others do not.

3. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Mixture modern is great. Black ambrosia is pretty tame but another great one. Vanilla creme flake is fantastic. Take it slow though.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I realy like the Solent mixture . It' not so much an English blend as a MacBaren Blend with some latakia ... kinda an intro to an English blend . It's very good and very clean tasting and burns perfect

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I have tried the Vanilla Cream and really enjoyed it. The Plum Cake sounds good and from what I understand mails well.........hint hint hint. :ohyh:

DogTalker and ArmedOctopus like this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

HH Highland Blend. It's pretty similar in a lot of ways to their Mixture, but with the addition of a modicum of latakia and the use of whisky for flavoring. No peaty notes from the whisky come through, but they say they use Glenfarclas 30yr. I doubt they use much of it in there. But it's a great semi-sweet blend with enough latakia to take notice of it, and with enough of an aromatic quality to take notice of that, too, but without tasting like burnt sugar or detracting from the flavor of the tobaccos. It's mild-medium, not at all goopy...just a really nice "crossover" blend in just about every regard, as far as I'm concerned. I'd put it up there with Esoterica's And So To Bed in terms of semi-aromatic latakia blends.

This may not really be what you're looking for, but I like it a lot :puffy:

TedVig and jdto like this.
  7. Morse

Morse Active Member

Vanilla cream is excellent as is Vanilla Flake. Their 7 Seas series is very good too - their version of the Captain Black line. This is however the opinion of someone who likes aros a lot and smokes them the majority of the time. If you are getting the greatest satisfaction from Lats these are not likely to be a substitute, although you may find them to be a nice change of pace.

8. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Mac Baren Honey and Chocolate ohhhh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TWolf and jdto like this.
  9. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

These are all great recommendations. I really like MacBaren blends, and so far haven't met one I didn't like! That said, MacBaren does have sort of a signature style that carries across most of their blends, that Danish cavendish slightly sweet taste. This is even in blends like their HH Vintage Syrian, which I would recommend without hesitation. I think of their spun cut blends as being great representatives of the Danish style tobaccos, not quite aromatic, but very sweet from the cavendish processing. I'd bet that when you find a MacB tobacco that you really like, your enjoyment of much of their other stuff will greatly increase. Their blends can be a bit tricky to get the hang of, but when it happens, it's sublime!

My personal favorite blends of theirs would probably be Roll Cake and Latakia Mixture (just don't expect to taste the Latakia and it's delicious!) which I wouldn't call aromatic, just Danish, but they're sweet tasting with a great room note. I also love the Vanilla Creme Flake, and the HH Vintage Syrian.

This reminds me that I have a tin of HH Acadian Perique that I need to try...

10. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

I'm about half way through a tin of this, my first MacBaren. It's good. Starts out with sweetness then goes a bit citrus.

Jussto likes this.
  11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I like The Solent pretty well. Not really much of a fan of Mac B's, although ODF and Symphony are excellent. But I'd put The Solent (light sorta-english) up there fairly high. Worth a try.

12. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Mixture Scottish and Solent are delicious. Jussto is right about a MacBaren taste. There's something similar in the background of most of their blends.

Jussto and David Emond like this.
  13. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

When I think of mac baren I think of Honey. I was able to get honey in all the blends that ive tried.

Jussto likes this.
  14. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

If you want the plumcake flavor without the casing, etc, try C&D Black Frigate. AWESOME~!!! I love it!!! I dropped plumcake when I discovered that & I can see why someone can dislike it.

English blends I'd recommend: G. L. Pease Chelsea Morning, C&D Red Odessa, Kansas City Pipe Club "Nocturne". If you like English with a twist of cigar leaf, try my favorite cigar blend, G. L. Pease Key Largo. That's my sittin' on the front porch in the summer w. a cob & pitcher of sweet tea blend right there. Also good after dinner w. a cup of coffee.

15. mugwump

mugwump Member

HH Vintage Syrian is one of my favorite English/Oriental blends. I recently bought a pound of the stuff and even splurged and got the big ceramic canister to go with it. Like Jussto mentioned, it has that trademark Mac Baren honey-like sweetness that offers a nice change of pace for a Latakia-heavy blend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.