MacBaren Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by cmkiefer, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmkiefer

cmkiefer Member

Any recommendations? My local sad example of a B & M mostly caters to the cigar smokers and bulk aromatics crowd but they do carry a small selection of MacBaren tins. Not real familiar with these myself and haven't heard a lot of discussion in the forums.

I am primarily a lat/English/oriental smoker with mild aros on the side.

The two blends I can remember seeing there are HH Dark Fired and Mixture (?) but there are probably a half a dozen others.

Checking on P & C, ODF looks interesting and Mixture (Scottish Blend?) is an aromatic?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

2. Longbottom

Longbottom Member

I always keep a few tins of MB Mixture at home. I love the stuff, quite sweet with a lovely hay-and-honey taste, but not overly sugary, and not too weak either. Then on the other hand I am fortunate enough to never have experienced the infamous "macbite"... I have never seen it as especially aromatic (all tobaccos are flavoured with something, but some less and some more), but many who prefer cleaner tobacco taste claim it to be aromatic (which I don´t have a problem with, for me that doesn´t matter, I like it anyway). I haven´t tried that many MacBaren tobaccos except for mixture, but in my experience vanilla cream is way to mild, smells nice but doesn´t really taste anything. Mixture modern is O.K. but still a bit too mild in my opinion. The HH ones are usually claimed to be fantastic, my experience is a bit split. I liked Mature virginia, but couldn´t stand Acadian Perique.

So my recommendation would be Mixture and HH Mature virginia.

3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

See if they have Latakia Blend, it will be all of your tastes in tobacco rolled into one, with a great room note to boot! LB is a spun cut, like Dark Twist or Club blend, and has an unmistakable MacB cavendish sweetness, but not so much as to be a real aromatic, it's really more like a Danish blend with a little Latakia added.

Can you tell it's one of my favorites?:byg:

Oh yeah, and don't forget to try their Vintage Syrian and Plumcake while you're at it, after all MacBaren is about the best deal going for tinned tobacco.:thu:

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

All depends on what you like. There's nothing wrong with MB blends at all, and if you learn to smoke them (sloowwww) they really are quite excellent. Mixture is good, and offers their basic "toast and honey" sort of flavor. Navy Flake is good, and the coins (Dark Twist, Club Blend, Stockton, Latakia Blend, Roll Cake) are superior imho. Their burleys are good - London Burley Blend and Golden Extra. It's sort of the brown-paper bag of the pipe tobacco world, as blending houses go. Not much fancy packaging and the descriptions are usually poor translations and often quite funny. But the leaf in the tins is always good.

User4408 likes this.
  5. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

Golden Extra and Mixture Flake are my recommendations.

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. aieeegrunt

aieeegrunt Member

I have been on a fruitless quest for MacBaren Honey and Chocolate for like a month now. Everything I try is sold out.

7. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I'm a Navy Flake guy, but a lot of other guys complain of Mac Bite.

8. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

Scottish Blend may be a light aromatic, with a slight rum/liquor casing, but it still has plenty of tobacco taste to it. It was the first tobacco I ever put fire to, so it may be some sentimental feelings there. It's one of my go tos. It's an honest blend, with a decent amount of complexity. It's a great middle ground between OTC's and top shelf stuff, having a superb balance to it. It's a light, satisfying tobacco that I could smoke all day. If you like Mixture, or their navy flake, you'll like Scottish blend.

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think "Mixture" simply IS "Scottish Blend". MB have this weird Name/description thing going on the tins, so you have Mixture/Scottish Blend, Dark Twist/Roll Cake, Club Blend/Roll Cake, (both spun cuts), and then, hugely unhelpfully, Roll Cake/Spun Cut, and totally out of whack with the rest of it is the HH series which all have HH/blend name. It's pretty dumb.

DeusExMachina likes this.
  10. cmkiefer

cmkiefer Member

This has been my experience at the counter. The labeling is decidedly unhelpful.

Sounds like a pretty good brand overall though. I will have to try a few. Alas, no Latakia Blend at this store though.

11. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

Many of mac baren blends have their own thread, once or twice even. Like everything, its not for everyone. However there are some exceptional smokes available if you learn the rhythm. MacBaren tobaccos seem to have a reputation for being exceptionally bitey, though they're some of my favorites.

I enjoy VA flake, Va no 1, navy flake, vanilla flake, mixture flake, club blend, original mixture and the 7seas blends sofar.

12. Waino

Waino Active Member

Vintage Syrian is ok "English".

13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

The Mac B blends I've tried and like thus far are: Roll Cake, Scottish Mixture, Dark Twist, and HH Old Dark Fired. I'm sure I'd like Club Blend too. I just didn't like Plum Cake.

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Old Dark Fired is, IMHO, the finest Mac Baren's blend made. It is one of the finest blends of all blending houses. It's just superlative all around. I also greatly enjoy Symphony, although I seem to be in the minority there. Solent is a wonderful oriental/latakia blend.

As for the others, if you enjoy the Mac Baren "house flavor", you'll probably enjoy a lot of their blends.

15. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Plumcake!!

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

MacBaren is superb !Their quality and consistancey are unmatched . They use modern methods and equipment that work well and it seems they've figured out how to pack a tin to where its ready to smoke when you open it , which for some reason others are unable to accomplish .Their newer HH blends are great[ and should be tried ] and it's fantastic to see them respond to the changing tastes of pipe smokers .
    As far as their blends , they are all good , though some are great.

MB Latakia is a fantastic great blend . It does not have much Latikia thus making it one of the worst named blends on the market . It should be called .. Ruffinogolds Blend ... I'll have to call them and suggest it to them . It's my favorite .

MB Golden Extra is a great Burley Blend and is a must try [ also the burley London Blend ] But GE is better :beck:
    MB Scottish is a Fantastic blend , though it may seem alittle light to a mainly Latakia smoker . The Mixture Flake is as good or better . Pretty much the same thing but a dufferent format
    Club Blend/ Dark Twist/Roll cake/ Navy Flake and Mixture /Plumcake/Norwood/Solent/Stockton/Sympohny are all note worthy damn fine blends worth a try for sure . Again , some my seem a bit light to a Latakia smoker
    Their Aros are done in the Danish style but not as hot as alot of the Danish and German Aros can be
    The rest I either havent tried or dont like .

17. DanR

DanR Member

My favorites are their HH series, specifically the Matured Virginia and Highland Blend (if you like scotch, this is a must try). Plumcake is a staple in my cellar too - I always have a tin of that open.

18. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

I've only recently tried MB Latakia blend--I don't taste any Latakia, but besides that, it is rather pleasant. It seems there is a bit of a learning curve in packing it and you DO want to sip it slowly, I've found. I'm looking forward to trying some of their other blends.

Regards,
    Michael

19. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I will be trying some mixture flake but they make 100g tins and for someone that wants to try its a bit much if you dont like it.

20. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

If you get a tin of Mixture Flake and dont like it I'll trade with you.

David Emond likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.