1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

MacBaren Three Nuns and Capstan

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by UberHuberMan, Jun 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

I snagged 5 tins of each and so far I've only cracked the three nuns. Never tried the original, but this stuff is pretty tasty.

Anyone else take a stab at the new production?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Not yet , I'm waiting to get feedback from people and then will wait till after the frenzy is done .

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

frenzy?......are they giving bordello vouchers with it - or somethin? :ohyh:
    OT

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yeah , that , and geritol for old folks :xd:

Ol Brokedik and jdto like this.
  5. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Smoking the Capstan blue now and I'm liking it. If you like VA flakes, you'll like this one.

6. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Even though the Three Nuns is supposed to lack perique, I get that fig/date note that I associate with perique mingled with VA goodness. Something that I've been surprised by is that I'm not experiencing any tongue bite. Normally I avoid MacBaren tobaccos because of the infamous tongue bite, but this one is smooth and flavorful. I'm really enjoying it.

rondel65 and JimInks like this.
  7. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

I snagged 2 tins of Three Nuns and a tin each of the Capstan Yellow Flake and Blue Flake.

So far I have only smoked some of the Three Nuns. Unfortunately after about 4 bowls I am finding it to be a bit boring. Also, the coins immediately fall apart after you pull them out of the tin so you can't load them as coins.

Maybe my opinion will change after a few more bowls but that's where I stand as of now.

I am looking forward to cracking the Capstan's.

UberHuberMan likes this.
  8. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

The Blue seems to be a bit light in the loafers compared to the last version.

9. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I like it alot. Slow Tri is right about the coins falling apart pretty easily. Hey you smokers of the original, was this always the case? Doesn't bother me a bit.

UberHuberMan likes this.
  10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I haven't done a side-by-side yet, but I've been smoking the Three Nuns for a couple of days, and I like it! I need to test it against a tin I picked up in Germany a couple of years ago, so it's not the truly "old" stuff, but it is pre-MacB. I haven't smoked enough to come close to a review yet, but if my memory serves the older may have been a tad stronger, more investigation is warranted here though...:sh:

I'd never had the Capstan, and also picked up a tin of the Blue. I don't see how a VA flake fan would have much fault to find with it. It's a no-nonsense solid VA flake. I've only had a few bowls, and liked them, but still not enough to really review that one either.

Neither of these have any hint of the MacBaren signature honey cavendish flavor if that's a concern for anyone.

Oh, and as a side note, being that I smoke everything right out of the tin, since I don't care to wait an hour before loading my pipe, I've been just warming that Capstan up with a lighter on each side (just enough to warm it, not cause it to smolder), letting it cool, and folding and stuffing it in my pipe. Moist flake from the tin to puffing away in under five minutes! I may try drying it more traditionally to see if that has an effect on the flavor.

Over all, I think MacBaren did a pretty good job on these, and I'd rather see these incarnations available in the US, than not having access to any version of them at all!

James1956, UberHuberMan and rondel65 like this.
  11. Slow Tri

Good write up Jussto.

The Three Nuns I have been smoking has had to be dried out for a bit prior to loading. I speed this up by putting it on a sheet of paper and then placing it over a lamp shade for the lamp to help with the drying. Usually it is done in around 5 minutes.

Jussto likes this.
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster Member

I love the Capstan Blue and find it has a unique flavor in comparison to many of my VA Flakes. My lips get coated with sugars when I smoke it and I will be cellaring this one very deeply. The Gold is also a nice flake that has some very nice citrus flavors without the grassiness that I get from OGS. It is kind of similar to Dunhill Flake and that genre of mild Va flakes so I will not be buying anywhere near as much of that one, but will still buy some. I think Mac Baren hit a home run with the Blue Flake and I have been smoking it once a day since I got it last Thursday. It does really well in my group 4-5 Dublins, Apples and Billiards.

Jussto likes this.
  13. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Tough job, but someone has to do it, right? :)

Jussto likes this.
  14. BAMAFAN

BAMAFAN Member

Ditto on the "I like it a lot". I do not remember the 3Nuns I smoked back in the 70's separating like the new 3Nuns. Also, maybe it's just my loss of brain cells but, what I recall is that the "coins" were more like little "balls". Does anyone that smoked 3Nuns in the 70's remember this? Or do I just need to accept the fact that I'm senile.

15. Slow Tri

Just smoked the Capstan Blue Label (Original Navy Flake). Only one bowl so far but I liked it.

Jussto and mojo66 like this.
  16. Slow Tri

It's official.............out of all three the Capstan Gold Navy Cut (yellow label) is my favorite!!

Really, really nice blend. Smells like figs and honey when you open the tin. I feel that it is subtly different from Dunhill's Flake and Orlik's Golden Sliced. Although the flakes are about the same size.

I recommend this one!

Jussto and UberHuberMan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.