MacBarens I've tried and a question....

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Darkly, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

So, thanks to a trade with a PSF'er, I got a nice sample of MacB Scottish Mixture and MacB Vanilla Cream Mixture. They didn't seem horribly bitey to me, and smoking properties were good, but I found myself less then impressed by the over all strength and quality of the flavors.

Here's my question for you MacB fans...
    Do the flake versions of these two blends have a stronger flavor profile?

2. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

no one?

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I've only smoked the Scottish in the flake and I didn't care for it so didn't bother with the mixture.

I thought Vanilla Creme was pretty boring in both cuts.

Then again, I'm not a huge Mac Baren fan so my answer probably isn't the best.

4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I can't compare flake to mixture on these blends, but I do smoke Vanilla Cream Flake pretty regularly, and I find the flavor to be more intense if the flake is folded and stuffed instead of rubbed out. It seems to burn slower, and the flavor develops a little more. I would hazard to guess that the non-flake would be more like the rubbed out flake in burn characteristics and taste.

With that out there, to reply to "I found myself less then impressed by the over all strength and quality of the flavors", MacB as a Danish blender, puts out blends that are IMO, light, sweet, and slightly aromatic as a rule. I might disagree with you on questioning the quality of their flavors though, they're light, but I'd say respectable. They use a cavendish in most of their blends that lends a characteristic flavor component to much of their stuff. I personally really enjoy their blends, but I go to them for a light and tasty afternoon smoke, I definitely like something a little stronger later in the evening.

If you'd like to try a MacBaren blend with a little stronger flavor, you might like their Plumcake, it's a Latakia blend, with a little less of that cavendish presence. To keep their cavendish sweetness and add a little punch, try something like their HH Vintage Syrian.

Or maybe they just aren't your favorite blender! At any rate at least you tried some of their stuff, and they're a good buy for those of us that do enjoy them!:puffy:

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I don't think I would know the difference in the pipe between Mixture and Mixture Flake.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You might be better off with Roll Cake or Stockton too.... they are a little fuller.

7. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Im definitely not one judge a blender based of one or two samplings, and will likely retry these flavors in flake form, as well as other flavors from MacB. I just thought that maybe I was just not "getting it" flavor wise, and that a flake would be stronger in that department.

I'll def have to look into some of these other blends as well... The prices on it is definitely in my ball park for sure too. lol

8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Mac Baren stuff is really weird. I didn't "get it" for a long time either, and kept hearing people talk about this signature "honey on toast" sort of flavor in Mixture, and I was just.... not finding much. I was right at the end of 100g and was basically done with the brand - totally uninspired, and something clicked. I got a wisp of something heavenly from a pipe that was just barely lit. And that little hit of what was indeed a honey on toast sort of flavor was probably the turning point for me in terms of really enjoying pipes. I always liked them, and enjoyed a few different tobaccos, but it was never magic. Once I slowed right down and learned to get the most out of the Mac Baren blends (the less you seek, the more they reward), I now smoke almost nothing but. There's always other tins around and I get gifted and trade for some tobacco, but I always have Mixture, Navy Flake, Club Blend, and Dark Twist open. If you master these, you'll get to a point with them, I swear to god, where they have TOO MUCH flavor for you - they are almost intoxicatingly intense. But it's not a real easy zone to find.

Pipestud has an old tin of "Latakia Mixture" for 10 bucks right now - it is a little fuller than some, but still a sweet virginia despite it's name. If you can swing the deal, that would be well worth having.

SouthBound, Jussto and ol gto like this.
  9. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Ah ok.. I've read a few places where this sorta thing happens with the MacB's and that's exactly why I posted this thread... If I can get that "click" then it'll be on like Donkey Kong. I mean, I get that each tobacco blender comes with its own learning curve, but I've never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed..
    So, I'll def have to get some more, once money's not so darn tight. lol

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It surprised the snot out of me when it happened. PM me an address and I can hook you up with a sample or three.

11. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

While I've sampled several of the Mac Baren blends, I don't think I've smoked enough of most of them to offer an informed opinion as to their flavor intensity, but I can say I haven't been underwhelmed by the ones I've tried. I have been smoking Vanilla Cream Flake as part of my regular rotation lately, and I'd agree with Jussto in that it is a bt more intense folded than rubbed out. The vanilla flavor is lighter than some I've tried, but that is exactly why I like it: it's not cloying or unnatural, and never goes sour toward the end the way some more heavily flavored cavendishes do for me.

12. Longbottom

Longbottom Member

Danish tobacco tends to be quite light and aromatic as a rule (at least in my experience). I smoke W.O. Larsen and Mac Baren regularly, and enjoy them. But I think they might take some time to get used to before the "real flavour" comes out (possibly this is also why some people feel that MB bites). It kind of creeps up on you when you least expect it. ;-)

13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

MacB tobaccos are among my favorites. They don't offer any experience that is akin to nekked bungee jumping, but are just solid and enjoyable smokes. I'd say that they have to be sipped ever so slowly to be fully enjoyed and to keep them from biting the crap out of your tongue. Like others have noted, it takes a little time to get them. The first MacB blend I ever tried was Symphony, many years ago, and it took me damn near half the tin to get it, but when I did I was hooked. Since then I've tried many other MacB blends, and I seemed to get them right off. Love me some MacB.

SouthBound likes this.
  14. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

That's where I am with them. Scottish Mixture just blows me away with sweet, toasty MMMMMMMMmmmmm. It was well worth taking the time to "get it".

15. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Yep :puffy:

16. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I tried Symphony about 35 years ago. It tasted like roll-your-own cigarette baccy. Navy Flake was a little better but I really like Latakia and Plumcake. I've got a tin of 7 Seas Regular waiting to be opened. According to reviews of smokers who have tried it, it was developed by MacBarens to compete with Captain Black but, unlike CB, it isn't soaked with propylene glycol (yuck). I'll post a review after I've tried it.

17. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

This all makes me very happy to hear.. Its not the bacci... which is well respected and venerable, it's just me.. and I have a pretty darn good probability that at some point, I will "get it"... :D
    No guts no glory, right?

18. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

MacBarens Navy Flake is my favorite.....for what it's worth.

Beale likes this.
  19. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Good thread. I've never tried any MacB blends, but after reading this thread, my trepidation has decreased significantly.

20. Beale

Beale Active Member

The McB Navy is also a favorite of mine, Beale.

nitehawk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.