1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Macqeeun Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by raistlinsk, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raistlinsk

raistlinsk Member

As anyone who has read at least 3 of my post, you can probably tell from one of those I'm a huge fantasy fan, namely Lord of the Rings. So of course a big beautiful medieval churchwarden calls to me. Since I started pipe smoking I've been eyeballing the Macqueen pipes. I haven't got one yet because I wasn't sure if they were descent smokers, or just something a geek like me would get to accessorize his renaissance fair outfit. The reviews on the site look good, but that could be any ole asshole with a pipe...I want the opinions of my PSF brothers!!! I have never been steered wrong by you guys!

2. pottsy

pottsy Member

Do a search, there are several posts about them. I don't recall many of them being good reports.

3. EvanWeeks

EvanWeeks Member

I've got the Ranger sitting here at my desk. Sadly, that is what it mostly does. Sit on my desk.

I've chronicled my attempts to get it to smoke sanely in another thread that should be easily found here, but suffice to say the substandard materials used, poor finish and generally mental ward worthy construction make it unlikely it will ever be more than a show piece for me. The bowl and airway design, in particular, were the downfall of this pipe. I was completely unable to find a technique that could get me from the top of the bowl to the bottom without a) scorched flavors and overheating bowl and tobacco, and B) unburned tobacco lining the sides of the bowl, as the ember favors the back of the bowl, where the airway is aimed.

I don't know about the other pipes, but the Ranger is a flop.

4. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

Yeah, I've read or listened to a hundred reviews and the vast majority are negative. This, to me, is a crying shame.

Out of all the LOTR themed pipes MacQueen offers, the Ranger was the best looking to me. Then again, having watched the movies a dozen times each, I couldn't help but imagine myself as Strider, in the back corner of a crowded pub, puffing away in the shadows. Heh!

I've actually found some decent reviews about the Wizard, modeled of course after Gandalf's pipe, and a quick Youtube search will turn them up. I hope they smoke better than the Ranger, although I'll probably buy one of those too someday, even if it's only a decorative piece.

5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I've never heard anything good about them, just a lot of unsatisfied pipers who I wish I could have warned. My advice is if you've got your heart set on a churchwarden buy one from a reputable manufacturer like Savinelli or Stanwell. You can't go wrong with them. If you want something more LOTR looking try looking at Johs churchwardens. I've never owned one myself, but I've heard good things.

6. pottsy

pottsy Member

Maybe consider one of these instead? Stanwell HCA I know it isn't the same thing, but I bet you would be happier in the long run, and hey changeable stems, bonus.

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Another vote for Stanwell here. I have an Anderson II that I really like, and the converts-to-a-regular-pipe thing is nice. Only trouble with churchwardens is having to get extra-long pipecleaners, though they can be cut in half for use in standard pipes in emergencies.

8. justMike

justMike Member

9. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I also haven't read anything positive about them. I was looking for a nice Churchwarden to use while reading or just relaxing. I like the look of the MacQueen pipes, but was hesitant to pull the trigger because of all I have read. Stanwell, Peterson, and Sav make nice churchwardens. Me? I opted for the Churchwarden Forever Stem for my cobs. It is awesome. It is a reasonably priced option that takes a normal cob into a fantastic smoking experience.

Z

10. owias12

owias12 Member

This might help you in your decision. Hope it is of some help.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUau8ZmAbbA&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS5ovfblpnw&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lO70eJChYI&feature=related

I would love to own one of these.

Be well.

11. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

I was looking at them for awhile too. I don't think they make any of their pipes with briar, just some other hardwood like maple or cherry. I suspect they would smoke like my MM Ozark hardwood pipe, with a really strong sap taste, and would smoke really hot too. They are probably better as props, but heavily caking them might make them somewhat more tolerable, that is if you can pupt up with it long enough to cake them.

The Stanwell HCA is pretty good, but also you can get a Nording Churchwarden for a little less, and it also looks more like it could be from LOTR. I have a Nording that is exactly like the bowl for this Churchwarden here http://pipesandcigars.com/nochpi1.html but on a regular size stem and it was a great buy.

12. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

http://www.tecon-gmb...p?cPath=209_238

What kind of manufacturer is this? DO they have the rights to the LOTR stuff? Has anyone bought one of these?
    I bought a macqueen when the movies came out. Never smoked it. Looks great on my mantle as a decoration but the feel makes me nervous to smoke it. But this link from justMike looks interesting. Thoughts?

13. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

If you want the bowl made of briar you have to specify (and pay extra) from Maqueen. Most others offer them with a cherry bowl.

The company in Germany that makes them to accept a filter MIGHT cut down on the problems with them.

I almost bought one then decided to wait. There seemed to be a lot of smoke and mirrors as to what the bowl was made of from the company I talked to (not Maqueen) come to find out they wanted around 50 bucks for the cherry bowl model.

14. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

We bought a buddy of mine the Bilbo Pipe from Vauen for his bachelor party. I've only smoked a couple puffs out of it two or three times, but it was wonderful! There's also a special filter in them that is much different than the medico filters.

Link Vauen 1
    Link Vauen Filter

I think they do own the rights to the LOTR's pipe market.
    I dream of these!

Happy Smoking
    Arty

15. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

IMO this Ser Jac Frodo pipe is way over priced but IMO cool. I remember when Max from pipes2smoke brought out this series, they were not even close to this much money and they came with two stems if I remember correctly. They didn't last long, I suspect a cease and desist letter from the LOTR's franchise did them in. I got a cool LOTR's tamper from Vaune back when the first movie came out. I have never read anything good about the Macqueen pipes. :bling:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bens-Original-S...085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f06f0ec55

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.