1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Macqueen Churchwardens

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

Does anyone here have a Macqueen pipe? How do these ashwood stems hold up ? The prices look nice and I like that you have the option of having a briar bowl but not sure about the ashwood stems.

2. PipeLotus

PipeLotus Member

I hate to bad mouth ANY company, but in this case, I would STRONGLY reccomend doing some research. Not into the pipes, which I hear are fairly good, but the company itself. I frequent other forums, and there are multiple threads around the internet that stand as a testament to McQueen's awful customer service. From what I gather, its about a six month wait time, no matter WHAT they tell you. Also, their customer service is completely non-existant, and normally doesn't respond.

If you get one, I suggest doing it from another retailer, and not from the company itself. They have numerous complaints filed against them, and I havn't heard of anyone yet getting their pipe in under several months.

Don't mean to bad mouth them, but I also don't want you to get screwed over. Do some research into the company. :)

David Emond likes this.
  3. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I have one, and it's not a bad smoker, I'm not a huge fan of its drilling, it has a fairly wide shallow bowl, and is drilled from the bottom of the bowl back down towards the shank to connect the draft hole, effectively leaving the airway shaped like a big V. It still smokes pretty well, and I don't mind the ash stem, it is however, not at all able to be clenched or you would chew it up, and I would caution wet smokers to avoid them.

Mine is a few years old and holding up just fine, but I only smoke it three or four times a year, usually while reading Tolkien!

David Emond and PipeLotus like this.
  4. David Emond

yeah so a wet smoker would need some replacement stems

5. David Emond

thanks, i just read some other threads on the long waite. I was looking to see if there was a nice alternative to the 300$ Vauen middle earth pipes hehe

6. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I would just worry about the stem softening and being more susceptible to bite marks if it was damp. The wooden stems are also quite thick, and take a bit of getting used to.

David Emond likes this.
  7. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

The stem issue was always the thing that turned me away from MacQueen pipes... If the MacQueen angle fails you, I've been oggling these LUNA Pipes for some time, and have heard good things... The maker will even craft an acrylic 'normal' bit for you if you so choose - another reason I've had my eye on them.

Best of luck.

David Emond likes this.
  8. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I have one. THe Wizard. Never smoked it and probably never will. I only bought it for the LOTR mystique. It sits on my mantle with a Weta statue of Gandalf.

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I don't own one but have seen a few....not terribly impressed. Construction was mediocre at best, and the owner of one waited 4 1/2 months to get it.

David Emond likes this.
  10. David Emond

yeah ill skip buying a pipe from them. I dont like supporting a company that has bad customer service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.