1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jdto, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    I'm still quite new to this game, but as I muddle my way through soggy smokes, tongue bite, relights and myriad other challenges, I've somehow managed to try over 70 blends and counting. Every once in a while, I get a magic moment. A moment where the pipe and the blend just work together to remind me why I do this.

Tonight I am having one of those with GLP Triple Play in my Pete System Standard 312. I've also hit it with FVF in my Tinsky LE. This morning, Escudo was pretty close in my Ashton Billiard and CH in my Country Gent has also happened a few times...

What are your magic moment combos?
    Old Codger and OldSouled65 like this.
  2. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

Jul 17, 2012
    It's happened with Old Joe Krantz like 4 times so far. Always in the Stanwell.
    Squadron Leader in my BC Rhodesian once.
    And Jackknife Plug in my Country Gentleman.
    jdto likes this.
  3. mattia76

mattia76 Sales Account

Apr 11, 2012
    Penzance (very aged, from a friend) in an old, cracked Charatan Canadian that may have been a Supreme.
    Anniversary Kake in a David Jones Bent Billiard you could kill a drifter with.
    '92 Christmas Cheer in a Peter Heeschen Poker
    jdto and OldSouled65 like this.
  4. muddler

muddler Active Member

Sep 20, 2012
    FVF in an old GBD New Era billiard. No other pipe I own produces the magic with FVF (my favorite tobacco) that this pipe does.
    Rewster66, jdto and OldSouled65 like this.
  5. Johnny

Johnny Member

Jun 8, 2010
    I had a moment like that smoking some Jack Knife Plug in my Pete 313 the other night. At one point I thought about trading all my cellar away and stocking up on JKP.
  6. krusty

krusty Active Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Irish Flake in a DrG Belvedere.
    Small bowl that incinerates 1/2 flake to such a degree of perfection that it most always assures me of obtaining a spot of magic. Or as I tend to think of it, going to my happy place (-:
  7. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Magic Moment Combo?...Prince Albert in a MM Ozark Bent...
  8. Prof

Prof Member

Nov 16, 2010
    For some reason it usually happens with old pipes and new tobacco, such as an ancient little GBD and Frog cellar, but I had a flake epiphany with a BST and Orlik one day that was fantastic.
    jdto likes this.
  9. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Apr 5, 2012
    McCranie's Red-ribbon and/or McClelland Christmas Cheer in the Sasquatch Bent-rhodesian.
    Absolutely anything "english" in my Sasquatch Calabash.
    Telegraph Hill in my Caminetto calabash.
    PSPE/965 in a Wiley Ovation
    Anything Virginia in my Wiley Galleon
    P&W #10 in a Castello SeaRock.
    Penzance in a Grp Size 4 Dunhill dublin

Burley + cob

Shall I go on....?
  10. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Nearly every time that I load my Spillproof cob with #00 Burley, (which is on a very regular basis). :)
  11. Goat

Goat Active Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Wessex Dark Flake in my Nording Freehand
    ABF in a no name meer that I have
    MB Latakia in my IMP meer.

I'm sure there's other just can't think of them right now.
  12. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Mmmm...SG Navy Flake in my 1979 Pete System Deluxe is getting pretty close!
    ruffinogold and Old Codger like this.
  13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    SWRA / Kaywoodie Dads Pipe
    MB GE / Many a pipe
    Firedance / Spillproof Masterfull Billiard :nwor:
    SWR / Cob [ w/filter ]
    MB Latakia / many a pipe
    PH Dark Strong Kentucky / Dunhill Billiard
    Middletons Cherry Blend / No name French long shanked Apple and almost all my Kaywoodies
    Ogdens Walnut / Hilson Mondial Meerlined Chimney
    Half and Half / Dr. Grabow Grand Duke [ fitered ] and a Dr. Grabow Silver Duke Pot [ filtered ]
    Goat, Spillproof and jdto like this.
  14. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Magic, jdto? Can you make my mother-in-law disappear?
    jdto and Skrymr like this.
  15. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Jul 5, 2012
    H&H in a MM Ozark Hardwood without the filter.
    krusty and jdto like this.
  16. MainePipe

MainePipe Member

Jun 13, 2012
    CH in a cob

McCranies ribbon or McCllelands Boston 1776 in a cob or a grabow

Two friends English chocolate in a cob

All superb satisfying smokes
    jdto likes this.
  17. conroygc

conroygc Member

Sep 11, 2012
    The first time I smoked an English blend, in a Dr Grabow.
    Penzance, in the same Dr Grabow
    Sutliffe Charlemange in an estate Moorgate pipe I cleaned up.
    jdto likes this.
  18. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Apr 24, 2011
    Its nice when it happens. Through the years I have been through so many blends I forget most. HOWEVER--there were those moments I remember certain tobaccos. For me its Virginias. I came back to them, and stuck with them now for a long time. They do VERY well in most all my pipes. BUT---now I guess I can rank my pipe magic.
    Boswells NorthWoods Blend in my xxl Becker Morta Billiard--Absolute heaven!!!
    In my Sasquatch pipes--McCrannies Red Ribbon, or Boswells Dans Blend--McClellands Deep Hollow too.
    I have an Ardor that does a great job with mild aros.
    For the most part once I find a combo of pipe, and baccy that clicks I stick with it. I do experiment, but keep coming back to stuff that works, and provides that pleasure in pipe smoking that is grand. I still keep jars of certain tobaccos that work well, One is a blend I made myself, and I keep it handy. Not that I won't try new blends etc., but once one finds the right pipe, and baccy combo----its tough to let that go, and move on--at least for me it is. Years ago---my dad--his pipe nervana was a Caminetto golden mustache business packed full of OTC "Union Leader--in the red can---he smoked enough ofthat stuff to fill a ships hold. My great grandad--Grabows, and cobs filled up with "Bull Durham"----I remember them enjoying those smokes over, and over. By the way I have that Caminetto Golden Mustache in my collection now---I cherish that pipe as it was my dads.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.