1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Malaga Pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by yinyang, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I just won a "Malaga" pipe off the 'bay. A quick bit of research reveals it was a MI company from the 60's til a few years ago. Seems it was like Boswell's...a blender, retailer, pipemaking affair. What interested me was that it was Gerald Ford's favorite pipe shop/pipes, and that some? were oil cured. I figured for a hair over twenty bucks, what the heck. Any one have more information or personal experience? BTW, it's an Oom Paul...the shape that I was gunning for anyways.

Thanks in advance.

-Kyle

2. scworrell

scworrell Member

sounds interesting. being a noob, i obviously don't have any advice or experience to speak of. it will be interesting to see what it looks and smokes like when it arrives. be sure to let us know

rob

3. yinyang

Being a noob doesn't disqualify your opinion, Rob (it sounded interesting to me, too)...heck, we're all noobs compared to Jesla, he's like a bazillion or something. And cranky.

BTW, be careful over there...hopefully you're a REMF. (No offense.)

-Kyle

4. scworrell

scworrell Member

Kyle,

Hahaha, haven't had any run-ins with Jesla yet, but I'll keep that in mind!
    I've just never heard of a pipe being oil cured? I love that shape, BTW. I think my next pipe will be on Oom. Hope she treats you well!

Rob

PS- REMF?

5. yinyang

Acronym for...well, too salty to put here. Means 'In the rear with the gear', or in paratrooper parlance, a 'chairborne ranger'. Someone safely behind front lines. REMF is a epithet spat out by front line troops at those soldiers, sailors, marines...safely out of harm's way. No longer a front liner, I no longer feel contemptuous of personnel smart enough not to elect to a combat arms position. Oh, the acronym? Yeah...'Rear-Echelon-Mother-....well, you guess the rest.

Be safe...

-Kyle

6. yinyang

Jeez-

Yeah, Rob, oil cured...I have little to no idea about that myself...but apparently Dunhill's were done this way(for a time, at least), and so it's got an 'aura' about it. Didn't persuade me entirely...but it was another reason to shell out essentially nothing on a pipe. Honestly, I just was looking for a decent Oom Paul on a budget.

Once again, please stay safe...

-Kyle

7. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

REMF = 71 Lima

It looks like an oom paul.

8. yinyang

Thank you! Guess you're familiar with'm, eh? The worst of them are the 'sew b!tches'...the guys grabbed at Bragg, and then volunteer, to run sewing machines to add patches to uniforms....speaking of acronyms..WTF????...over?!?!?

Back to bein' a witless dummy...what looks like an Oom Paul?

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Wiley does the oil thing too, from what I've read. Here is the pipedia entry for Malaga.

10. yinyang

Thanks for the research, really!...However, I did the same...all I got was the same limited info...'Gerald Ford', 'Oil Cured', and 'Driest smoke I've ever had'...were some of the few watchwords I'd keyed in on. Heck, after dropping more (higher)duckets before on questionable pipes....and coming out ahead...what is the big deal, I thought? And guess what??? I still do.

Thanks, Andy.

-Kyle

11. scworrell

scworrell Member

Ahh, now I understand. My JOB is one of a REMF, but (to my delight) my unit doesn't allow anyone to hide from the war behind their desk. It's kinda complicated, and I guess would depend on who you ask, as far as whether or not I am indeed a REMF. However, I think if we want to continue this conversation we should do so in a PM, for the sake of not getting this topic shut down, and I could explain my situation further.

And on the topic of being safe, I'm safer over here with my guys than I am in the states by myself in the mall. Thanks for the wishes anyway :cheers:

Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.