managing my cellar stored tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by avmech20, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avmech20

avmech20 Member

I think I'm going to try some cellaring since I can buy tobacco way faster than I smoke. (I smoke maybe 2 or 3 times a day). when you take a tobacco out of the cellar do you just take what you want out of it, reseal it, and put it back in the cellar? how does all this work?!?

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I have jars and Tins that are to be aged as long as possible, so not opened until smoked.
    Once opened, those Jars are the ones that I pull supply from for daily smokes as needed.
    Interested to see how others have their cellar and daily stock arranged.

:puffy:

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I store in various sized mason jars, depending on the quantity and frequency of use. For example, I put 1 lb bulks in 32 oz wide mouth jars and don't plan to open them until the smaller jar of the same blend is depleted, or my planned aging date.

I put 6-8 oz load into 16 oz wide mouth jars. Sometimes these are bulk purchases and sometimes they are tins combined into one jar (usually tins from the same purchase date). I also have taken a pound and divided into 16's instead of a 32 because I plan to open at least one in the near future.

Tins I have only one of, I put in 8 oz wide mouth jars that are short and fat. I also put leftovers from pound bulks into 1 and 1.5 oz babyfood jars for regular use. If I open a 16 oz jar or even an 8 oz jar, I will often fill a babyfood jar for regular use so the larger jars aren't opened very often.

I will also replace the lid on a jar after I've opened it 3 times.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Right now I have 4 tins open and one jar. I am not sure if that's proper but, it's just the way it worked out. However, what I have noticed is the tins have lost some of their moisture content once opened for a few weeks or more... So, I probably shouldn't have 4 open at the same time.

5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I've got pretty much all of my open stuff in 8oz Ball jars, the little squat ones. Some are in 16 oz jars, if I have enough to fill them. I get into some more than others, and once in a while throw a humidisk in there for a couple of days if it looks like it needs it. Others I don't open as often, and they seem to hold moisture well. Round screw-on type tins generally hold moisture better than rectangular ones once they're open, but I still don't trust them for that long. I'm getting better about not opening everything I acquire as soon as it comes in, so I have a fair number of unopened tins in the cellar, which should keep almost indefinitely if they are well sealed. Watch 'em for rust, though. A pin hole can let in enough air to crispify the whole tin.

6. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I started out buying the larger jars but as of late have been using the small ones (125ml) they store between 1 and 2oz of tobacco and are a perfect for short to mid term storage.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I use those small ones for my tobacco bar. I use the largest size for long term storage, and these tiny ones are fed from mid-sized jars where the intent is not long term aging.

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

As I don't buy bulk, all my tins are stacked and boxed.
    Current smokes are pulled from the tin, and jarred.
    Circular tins that I smoke a lot of are not jarred as
    the tin can keep the toby at the right humidity until
    it's empty.

9. mtsgsd

mtsgsd Active Member

I use pint and half pint jars for most, and quart size for larger amounts. Tinned tobby is left in the tin once it's opened, until the moisture is right, and then it gets jarred.

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I use 8oz or 16oz canning jars. Right now I'm cellaring MacB, Stokkebye, C&D, and G&H bulks, as well as tubs of classic American OTC's. For me, flake tobacco cellars best in the 8oz jars, and everythjing else seems to cellar best in the 16oz jars. I also have some big fancy jars and an antique metal Velvet tub that I keep my daily smoke blends in. Basically, I just open a jar or two of cellared tobacco and transfer it to the "house" jar. Once that gets smoked-up, I break-out some more from the cellar and transfer it to a "house" jar. I keep my high-end and Virginia-based tobaccos in a cabinet with a door so that I can keep them in total darkness. My OTC tobaccos are stored in a bookcase, away from direct light but exposed to ambient light. (I figure that ambient light won't hurt an OTC). All jars have a label that identifies the manufacturer, blend, and date it was jarred. No fancy label maker, I just used the label making option (or mailing option) on my Word program: the manufacturer and blend is printed, and I just write the date in pen at the bottom of the label. Nothing fancy, but it works.

As far as long-term cellaring goes, I know that Virginia-based blends will age very nicely, much like a fine wine. I'm letting those sit as long as I can. It's my understanding that Burley-based blends don't really age - they smooth-out some, but they never really age like a Virginia blend will age. So, while I do have a bit of an eye for age on a Burley-based OTC, it's not much and I don't put much thought to sitting on an OTC. I just jar the tubs or pouches, and smoke them as I need to (smoking the oldest jar first, and so on).

11. avmech20

avmech20 Member

ok, I doubt I will ever have as much tobacco as you guys have LOL! I buy oune or two ounces at a time and couldn't afford to throw 40,50, or 60 dollars at a pound :( must be nice

12. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

^ This.... I usually only make one pipe tobacco purchase a month of right around 35 bucks after shipping, as that's all I can afford to budget.. and I smoke it up WAY faster then I can hope to save any of it.. So, unless I hit the lottery or something, cellaring just simply isn't much of an option for me either. *shrugs*

13. BradNTX

Several of the pounds I've bought have been in the $30's. If you shop around, you can find bargains at times. I've even found a roll of tins that equaled a pound, that were on sale, and cheaper than the pound at other stores of the same blend.

I squirreled away some toby money for six months and just bought some bulk in November. I'm also thinking of selling some hard to find car parts I have for some TAD/PAD. I have an aluminum grill (NOS) for a 77-78 Dodge that's worth over $1k. Didn't want to part with it, but I paid $100 for it a long time ago at a swap meet. Thinking how much leaf and briar I could get with the cash makes me weaken on keeping it.

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Buying in bulk is like getting free leaf!

Do the math! You'll see.

Ed
    Puff

TxPipesmoker likes this.
  15. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

That's cross-wise thinking my friend. If you figure how many tins of a blend you need to buy to male that pound of bulk toby, I think you'll find that you could buy another 3-4 oz with the savings..... There are a number of very good tobaccos out there for $30+/- a pound.

Now that might *seem* like a lot of $$$ but you will be smoking from that pound for a good long time..........................

16. avmech20

avmech20 Member

i could manage a pound at 30 dollars for sure. If you guys see a sweet deal come your way give me a heads up. I may not have much money through the holidays, but I will get to pull some of my tax return for my own personal. i may throw 100$ towards some toby now that I know how long I can store it :) I actually don't mind burning some OTC, but i'll have to find a brand I really like. So far PA and Carter hall are about the same to me. I would like something like an aromatic OTC, but I haven't heard anything good about them except that they smell good.

17. BradNTX

There's a bunch of Mac Baren blends in the $30's here: http://pipesandcigars.com/macbabuin1lb.html
    Golden Extra is a great Burley that I smoke regularly.

They also have Stokkebye blends for as low as $25.50! That's cheaper than when I bought the same blends last month. Anyway, Cube Cut, Luxury Twist Flake, etc are all killer smokes. There are easily a dozen PS blends between $25 & $36 that are awesome: http://pipesandcigars.com/petstokbulto.html

Then you can get Russ Oullett's house blends at P&C, which are super too. All less than $40 per pound.

18. avmech20

avmech20 Member

Thanks Brad!! I think I'm going to have to get in touch with you when I come to San Antonio after Christmas.

19. BradNTX

Absolutely :bing:

20. avmech20

avmech20 Member

maybe you can bring along a little latakia and walk me through it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.