1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Man's Best Friend

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Patrickgrue, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patrickgrue

Patrickgrue Member

I finally found a real fine tobacco shop in town with lots of veriaty.
    I ended up picking "man's Best Friend" from Sutliff Private Stock.

1.5 oz tin.

Different is all I can say with my experience.

This is the second tobacco I have tried.....the first being
    Captain Black.

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I went recently to a local tobacco shop and the owner was an old man who has smoked a pipe since he was a kid. He had the most amazing pipes of his own and Man's Best Friend was one of his 2 fav. tobaccos of choice. I forgot what the other one was, but it was also made by Sutliff.
    Maybe I will try it one day. I have a few more ahead of it on my wish list. Is it more of an English tobacco or blend?

3. Patrickgrue

Patrickgrue Member

Hi Mington,

Sorry took so long to reply, I'm having trouble getting time on a decent compuer to do my boards......right now I'm using one of those smart phones to reply.

I looked up a review on the MBF but can't remember the name of the overtone taste and aroma........it is very different fron the captain Black that I have been smoking.

I had trouble burning it at first..........Cleaned my pipe and am having better luck now, though it does not stay lit nearly as well as the CB.
    At the rate I am smoking it I'll have it for some time.
    I wonder if it will burn easier after a few weeks?

The taste is growing on me..........I've smoked about 5 bowls of it.

4. Patrickgrue

Patrickgrue Member

From their vertizement:

"Perfect for fans of Barking Dog.

Another American Classic in the English vein. Smooth toasted Burley cubes blended with premium grade Latakia and Lemon Virginia Flake. Cased with a uniquely mild rum top dressing to produce a subtle pleasing flavor and room aroma."

I'll have to look the word "Latakia" up.

5. Patrickgrue

Patrickgrue Member

"Latakia is the result of a curing process involving fire curing the leaves over controlled fires of aromatic woods and fragrant herbs. It is probably the most well known spice tobacco."

My wife nailed it.........she said it kind of smells like a camp fire.

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

When I first ventured into Lat blends many years ago, I was told it was smoked over fires of camel dung...which would make that a "crap-fire". :startle: That ol' tobacconist was just plain mean.............

The thought never deterred my love of the leaf though....still great stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.