1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Marlin Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by OldAtHeart, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldAtHeart

OldAtHeart Member

Well Gents, it looks like Rattray's flakes are back on the market!

Taking advantage of some weather this weekend, I hopped on the bike and rode out to JR in Burlington. After my last few trips, I wasn't sure what I would find. I haven't been able to find any Old Gowrie or Hal in a while, much less anything from SG. Well, still no luck on Gawith, but I was able to procure four tins of my old friend Hal and while I was at it, picked up a tin of Marlin Flake which I'd never tried.

Silly me! How did I ever pass up this flake?? Straight from the tin, the five long coiled flakes (a bit like LGF but darker) was so wet I thought for sure I'd never get it lit, but my impatience overwhelmed me. To my surprise it lit as easily as it rubbed out--absolutely effortlessly. When sipped slowly, the bowl reveals deep, dark, sweet and well rounded flavors. I do plan on drying the tin a bit and I can't wait to see what comes out then! I don't mean this to be a review so much as a teaser. So, to any of you fellows as enamoured with Virginia flakes as I am: Do yourself a favor and check out Rattray's Marlin Flake.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Rattray's virginias are good. Waiting on a sample of Clunee from Mr Moo, but the rest of the Rats I've had I was real impressed with, Marlin not the least. Deep, sweet, easy smoking.

It's not Club Blend, but it's damn good. B)

3. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I have only tried one Rattray blend, Old Gowrie. How does Marlin Flake compare? How does HOTW compare?

I like Old Gowrie but it is not my favorite Virginia.

4. OldAtHeart

OldAtHeart Member

They say Marlin is justlike OG, but with a different aroma... whatever that means. I like OG, but the flavor is sometimes a bit too harsh for me, a bit too spicy/peppery. Marlin shares the best qualities of OG, but deeper, more mellow, "round" flavors (think coffee, coco, burnt sugar), and sweeter. HOTW is one of the most complex, description evading, and plesantly unpredictable smokes in my stock. I personally love Hal, but for totally different reasons than Marlin at this point. Again, my disclaimer, Marlin is a new blend to me and I've only had a few bowls. Still excited to see what it's like after a little drying.

Do try Rattray's other VA's. Like Squatch says, their Va's are quite good. Actually, everything I've ever had from them has been of exceptional quality. The only reason I'm concentrating on the Virginias is because of personal taste. I do love the Red Rappere when the mood strikes.

5. ErichPryde

ErichPryde Member

Hey all, I just joined the other day and Marlin Flake is something that I would really like to try. However, it may not be available to me locally. If I end up not being able to find it, what are some slightly easier to find tobaccos that are similar? I may just cave and order some from cupojoes!

From what I've read on the internet, this is a really good tobacco, but like all good things that are made from "limited" resources, it may have once been better.

6. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Heard that MF has Perique in it. Can this be confirmed because I'd love
    to try some, yet I am not a Perique fan. Haven't tried any Rattray's, but
    need to at some point.

Cheers

7. IHT

IHT Member

i like OG, HOTW, and Marlin Flake. i didn't know there was perique in MF, i've never detected any (doesn't mean it's not true)...

8. raf66

raf66 Member

HOTW is a favorite of mine. Brown Clunee is pretty good too, though I find it a bit more "one dimensional" than HOTW. It's peppery and spicy but not quite as complex as HOTW. Again just my opinion. I've really enjoyed every Rattray blend that I've tried.

9. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

I have to agree with this description. Marlin Flake is a flavor monster - one of the cavendish cat daddies of dark-in-your-face sweet flavor - WHEN you fill the pipe right and smoke it slow.

It reminds me of Stonehaven except it needs a little smoking technique.

10. ErichPryde

ErichPryde Member

When I got off of work this evening, some Marlin Flake was waiting in the mailbox for me! Must have come yesterday. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I was impatient to pop the tin and see what it was like. I bought and tried some university flake several days ago and I immediately like the "nose" on the Marlin much, much better. There is a peated-barley type thing going on in the University flake (a co-worker of mine said "cat piss" but I think he was being harsh) that I just can't quite dig. The Marlin is deeper, warmer, and more inviting and I really like what I'm smelling.

Maybe I'm being unfair, though, as I haven't smoked the marlin yet. the University did smoke pretty well.

11. ErichPryde

ErichPryde Member

Okay, so I had a chance to try the marlin flake yesterday.

I liked it quite a bit. I have little experience with any tobacco other than Q-40 or whatever that generic blend gets labeled, but I definitely liked the marlin! I'll have to revisit it again and try to get a better feel for it but it is good tobacco. lots of warm notes to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.