Mason jar lids?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Beale, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beale

Beale Active Member

I know the outer screw part can be re-used. Can you keep using the inner part if you are putting the same Toby back in? Does this mess up the aging process/ I do not buy enough to have tins aging, Beale.

2. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I would recommend a new seal cap myself. I don't think the seal would work well a second time around.

Beale likes this.
  3. Jay

Jay Active Member

I keep using the same cap. But I don't cellar deep enough/long enough to warrant a new seal.

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

ditto

Beale and Mark w4mms like this.
  5. Beale

Beale Active Member

That is what I thought, thanks, Beale.

6. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I keep an eye on seals all along, if the leaf is not drying out, and the rubber is still pliable, I reuse it. I also try to make sure that I don't trap any tobacco between the seal and the glass when I screw the lid on.

With that out of the way, the only tobacco I've ever had loose moisture in the jar was when I put the lid on UPSIDE DOWN! :bangin:

7. user1975

user1975 Active Member

:doh:

8. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Oh, Jussto!

SmokeyJoe, Mark w4mms and EmperorGix like this.
  9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

+1 on dat!

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Those jar lids are cheap! It's like the space shuttle, "Well, we decided to go with the cheap gasket." Oooops!

Mark w4mms, Beale and TxPipesmoker like this.
  11. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

New seal for the jar. Don't reuse seals that have been sealed under heat. They are degraded and won't care for your leaf as a new one. I do reuse the same new seal every time I open and close that jar. Make sure your seal and jar lip are free from leaf or debris prior to resealing. A box of new seals is not expensive. Your leaf otoh is!

Ed
    Puff

Beale and Mark w4mms like this.
  12. jhe888

jhe888 Member

You aren't really sealing the jar unless you do like you are canning - put the jar in boiling water, heat the contents, and then screw down a new lid. As the contents cool, the pressure in the jar goes down some and the greater outside air pressure bears down on the lid, sealing the contents in. (In canning, the food will then not decay, since the heating was done hot and long enough to kill bacteria in the food. You wouldn't want to do that to tobacco.) That doesn't create anything like a real vacuum, but the air pressure in the jar is much less than outside, so the outside air pressure seals it.

The lid will close pretty tightly as long as the rubber edge of the inner lid is still intact and pliable. I don't think you need to replace them until you notice them deteriorate.

I have heard people talk about aging and changes that supposedly take place in the absence of air. I think that cannot happen in a jar. There is air in there, and it seems to me that unless you really seal the jar as I described above, air will continue to leak in. When making the toby, if it is in a press of some sort (like with perique), the air is excluded to the degree that some anaerobic process is at work, but I doubt that is the case when we store toby in a jar. It is aging, but I don't think any anerobic process is happening, and you can open the jars without "interrupting " any aging. I could be wrong, of course.

13. Scottly

Scottly Member

What about using a foodsaver, they have special lids for canning jars and bottles even that allow you to vacuum out the air. Would this work well for Toby?

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

In the PSF Library is a great read on cellaring and aging. Ya ought to check it out if ya hadn't.

Ed
    Puff

Beale likes this.
  15. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I would use new lids, if nothing else, the gasket retains odors of the previous tobacco.

Beale likes this.
  16. Beale

Beale Active Member

Yea I am gonna do this. I was just wondering about putting the same Toby back in? I plan to use new lids from now on, Beale.

Mark w4mms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.