Mason jar question

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Imrandy, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I have run out of my bigger jars and only have 6oz jars left how tight can i pack the bacco for storage i have one 8 oz tin of HH im trying to divide up

2. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

On average I been putting 2oz of tobacco in 8oz jars, 4oz of tobacco in 16oz jars. So for 6oz jars maybe keep it around 1.5oz to 2oz. Some have been packing it in tighter.

Gunslinger,

3. Goat

Goat Active Member

I've never seen 6oz jars. Where you get em?

4. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Yeah, I don't think I have seen any either. I got 4oz, 8oz tall, short, really short and flat, 16oz wide and regular mouthed, and 24oz freezer jars. But never seen 6oz jars... Now I want some....

Gunslinger,

5. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

Trauma likes this.
  6. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

For long-term storage, I think it's best to squeeze it in as tight as you can. I put a canning funnel in the top of the jar, dump the tobacco in, and squeeze as tight as I can get it. I just put four ounces in an 8-ounce jar with a little left over for smoking now. You might be able to fit eight ounces of tobacco in two 8-ounce jars if you squeeze, unless it's cut really coarsely. Just make sure when you seal it that there's no tobacco on the rim, between the glass and the rubber seal. If you have a bit left over put it in a small jar to smoke soon, or send it to me :)

Stonewall and ruffinogold like this.
  7. Imrandy

Imrandy Member

I ended up getting aprox 5oz in the 8oz jar just didnt want to pack it to tight and find i have bad bacco later on. And the rest went to my smoking stack.

JRobert likes this.
  8. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

I've found that a 50gram tin fits in one of these jars like it was made for it. 100gram tins fit in the next size larger perfectly as well.

[​IMG]

I get 'em at Menards for like four bucks.

cmkiefer likes this.
  9. gunslinger84

gunslinger84 Member

Yep I love the short flat jars. I find them at Walmart and a few grocery stores that have a canning section.

gunslinger,

10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I agree with JRobert, for long term storage I pack it in snug as a tick in 8 oz jars. I use smaller 4 and 2 oz jars for smoking stock.

11. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

If it's a tobacco that I want to "age", I tend to pack it a bit loose. According to Greg Pease (and who listens to HIM?) tobacco needs some air to begin the aging process. I have some jarred aromatics however, that I need a fork to pry loose.......

Morse likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.