mason jar storage for 8oz of tobacco?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ChrisB, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

Just wondering what size works best. obviously, you can't cram 8oz. Of tobacco in an 8 oz. jar. Also, is this a good method for bulk that comes in ziplock bags?
    Thanks.

YAPPG likes this.
  2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

8 oz of what kind of tobacco?

YAPPG likes this.
  3. bosun

bosun Active Member

Depends on how moist the tobacco is. For example, two pounds of Epiphany takes three quart size jars, so about ten ounces of tobac per quart sized wide mouth jar.

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I usually get 8 oz of tobacco into a 16 oz wide mouth. If its a large flake, I coil it and put the scraps in a baby food jar for immediate smoking.

5. ChrisB

ChrisB Active Member

I have 8oz. of a few House of Calabash (Meerschaum Reserve, Nothing Like the First Pipe, etc) and an amazing local blend in St. Pete (Dennison's Blend). Would it also make sense to take a Penzance in the bag and transfer it to a mason jar?

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I always transfer bags to jars. Even a tiny pinhole can cause it to dry out. Especially with a blend that isn't that easy to find.

bubbagump likes this.
  7. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I prefer to spread out my tobacco into multiple smaller jars (i.e. 80z), rather than stuffing it into larger jars (i.e. 16oz). You're looking at 3-4 jars to fill (80z variety) for 8oz of tobacco. This depends on the tobacco (as others have already mentioned) and how tightly you pack it in there. Personally...I jam it in there good to cut down on the amount of air in the jar.

Jars are cheap...tobacco is expensive (compared to the jars). It's only ~$1/jar for 8oz jars. I buy a flat of 12 at a time (and occasionally a four pack of the wide mouth jars) and fill them up as I get tobacco in. The wide mouth 80z jars are great for your daily stash. Just my $.02...

Yup. I have NEVER received tobacco in a ziplock bag that was REALLY sealed. Can you smell tobacco when you pop open your box (or if you stick the back in the cupboard and come back to it)? If so...it's not sealed. Jar it up.

ArmedOctopus likes this.
  8. Grumpynuts

Grumpynuts Member

I can store 2 to 3 oz. bulk tobacco in an 8 oz. jar. Some of the denser flakes could fit in smaller jars.

9. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I usually double the tobacco quantity for the jar size, i.e. a pound (16 oz.) will usually cram into a quart (32 oz.) jar. There are always exceptions, I usually use the short, fat wide mouth (8 oz.) jars for 2 oz. tins, and a pound of Kickin Chicken only filled quart jars about 2/3 full.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.