Mason jar tobacco storage...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by user2725, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2725

user2725 Active Member

We all know mason jars are best for long term storage of pipe tobacco but are there any special tricks you have in doing so, for instance is there any benefit to a loosely pack jar to a densely packed jar? I have also noticed that the seals are not always 100% so I bought some canning wax to dip the top of the jars in to ensure a prefect seal. I'm kinda new at this so I figured some of you guys that have been at it a while might know something I don't.

2. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Hi Briar Boy,
    I buy the pint size Ball jars. I try to keep a jar 3/4 full if aging it for the future. A little air will help it move along. I really do not think the wax is necessary though. The little rubber/foam seal n the bottom of the lid is more than enough to keep the tobacco from the ambient air. I think it is more important to make sure the jar is clean when you put the tobacco in it than anything else. Keep out any unwanted spores and such. There is no need to overtighten the lid either, just finger tight. They should stay for many, many years just like that.

Paul

Preacher1611 and user2725 like this.
  3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

+1.

I use a variety of different sized ball jars, and like Paul, never completely fill them. As long as you don't bend the rim of the lid (by dropping them), the seals are good for a long, long time.

user2725 likes this.
  4. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Looks like I gotta get some more jars, filled the ones I have WAY too densely :doh:

5. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I just started jarring, (one blend so far), same as above, loose fill, about 3/4 full, clean jars and tops, finger tight. Keeps my bacca fresher than my humidor. :th1:

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I think it was Moo who had an excellent tip for Jar cellaring; suggesting that putting the clean/washed/dried jar into the microwave for 2 minutes to kill any bacteria, and promptly putting the tobacco in. According to the tip, the remaining heat in the jar helps to form a tight seal for long term storage.

I've been following this method now since first reading about it.

MakDragon, Baccy Bert and Spillproof like this.
  7. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

I usually pore hot water from the tea kettle over them to sterilize them just before jarring. Make sure the rim is free of tobacco bits & you should be good to go. I think wax would be overkill, But if overkill is your thing go ahead. What ever makes you happy. :)

8. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Yes, overkill :)...
    [​IMG]

9. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

It can get very dry up here in Wrightwood (when the weather warms up), and I've noticed with my rotational mason jars that they need a little humidifying sometimes. I read recently in a pipe book to try a piece of lemon peel, and have found it works great. (and no mold issues)

10. gunsmoke

gunsmoke Member

Does it affect the flavorJohn?

11. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Not at all, all it takes is a small piece (just the peel)

12. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I just jarred 16oz of All Day Long from Altadis. It is an aro that I really, really like. I actually bought some in Gettysburg from the Gettysburg Tobacco Shop. They had it labeled as General Longstreet. The owner was kind enough to tell me the name of the bulk that it is. Now I just put it in pint size ball jars.
    I know aros dont age well, but has anyone here jarred them for a prolonged period AND have they lost much of their flavor?

13. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

My baccy box is empty at the end of the month. Someday, I dream of having enough to worry about long term storage

14. Brian

Brian Member

I just throw tobacco into the jars and screw on the lid finger tight -- no washing, no other nonsense. My tobacco has been fine for at least 2 years so far on some jars. I keep them in a closet out of the light, and in a pretty even temperature.

Actually, small jars are my preferred container for my regular smoking rotation too. I only get a chance to enjoy a pipe maybe once every other day, sometimes a little more often on the weekends. I use the little 4oz jam jars for what I am smoking at the moment. They keep the tobacco nice and fresh, and are perfect to throw in my backpack for the long daily commuting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.