1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

MB Scottish Blend or MB Mixture Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Badcompany, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

What would mature better MB Scottish Blend or MB Mixture Flake.In other words, Would a flake mature better than a ready rubbed.

2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

As I believe they both contain Virginia tobaccos they would both benefit from time in the tin and the one with the most Virginia would benefit from aging more.

3. kb7get

kb7get Member

I got sent a sample of the flake then ordered the ready rub. Could not tell them apart from taste. Good sized chunks (like a broken flake) in the 5# bag I got. I would think both would age the same.

4. User4408

User4408 Active Member

In my experience flakes tend to darken faster than ready rubbed tobaccos. Mac Baren Virginia Flake, for example, darkens much faster than Mac Baren Virginia No. 1. Whether this translates to superior smoking quality, however, is debatable. Some say it DEFINITELY does.

Greg Pease's website has excellent articles on aging tobaccos. I would urge you to do your own research, gather as much information as you can, and start to experiment and take notes. And then tell the rest of us what you find!

After 45 years of smoking and a fair amount of experimentation, here's what I've found:

1. Aged tobaccos are generally much mellower than their fresh counterparts. "Mellow" in the tobacco sense generally means "less harsh" and tending towards a more acidic pH. One downside of this is that the high and low notes often go missing. Whereas a fresher version has a brighter and more vibrant spectrum of flavors, with the possible downside of being a bit sharper on the tongue. This sharpness never bothers me though because I puff slowly and almost never get bitten.

2. I did a prolonged comparison of 40-year-old Mac Baren Mixture side by side with fresh Mixture. The aged version is UNBELIEVABLY mellow, with a uniform dark brown color the shade of espresso coffee. The first few bowls just about blew my socks off they were so smooth. However, over time, I began to realize that the aged version lacks the vibrancy and spectrum of flavors of the fresh Mixture. The fresh version is actually a more complex and interesting smoke. But others might disagree.

I haven't tried Mixture Flake yet, but plan to order some. Frankly I can't see how it's possible to improve on Mixture: the ready rubbed already burns very slowly, is incredibly smooth and well-integrated, and has wonderfully complex flavors. Perhaps Mixture Flake turns this up a notch, but I'll believe it when I taste it.

5. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Thanks for your reply, I'm going to store a tin of Scottish Mixture and a tin of Mixture Flake for 1 year and than see how they smoke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.