1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

MC 5100

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pschoppy48, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You know, I've never smoked an "almost passed out" Virginia. They range from mild to full bodied flavor, but the fuller ones are usually very smooth. It seems like the Virginia blends don't kick as hard as the Burleys with nicotene either.

2. andrew

andrew Member

This is true to my tastes as well. I would have someone try HOTW before gowrie, gowrie can be an acquired taste if you are not used to straight va.

3. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

SG MVF
    SG BBF
    SG FVF
    doesn't get any better.

Also good are:
    Dan Hamborger Veermaster (once it has enough age on it for the casing to settle down)
    Esoterica Peacehaven (same instructions as Veermaster)
    Butera Golden Cake
    F&T Blackjack
    GL Pease Jackknife Plug

4. Capt

Capt Active Member

I like HOTW more than OG. HOTW has that LTF type sweetness.

5. andrew

andrew Member

Very true. The sweetness in SG's old gowrie can vanish in an instant and can take some coaxing. HOTW has a more consistent presentation imho.

6. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

I'll take this advice and get the #5100.. Then #22, #24, #27 and work my way on up with McClelland. Since every other tin of tobacco i purchased from this company was spot on!!

7. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't tried everything, or even close to it, but I have yet to be put off by a Virginia-dominant blend because it's too strong. Some have a fuller flavor than others, sure - and I agree that 5100 on the mild side. But VAs don't tend to be like latakia, which can be overpowering (to me, at least, others here will smoke the stuff straight).

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

For those suggesting VA tobaccos lack substantial nicotine....well, you may be right in general. But I think it's more how the blends are crafted than a mildness inherent in VA itself. VA smokers like the milder, traditional VA tobaccos (generally) with their characteristic levels of sweetness and rich flavor...so VA leaf possessing these qualities are used in pipe blends, and I'd imagine a lot of effort is spent in the growing and processing of these leaves.

But if you doubt Virginia tobacco's potential for full flavor AND full nicotine, try GH Dark Birdseye. Strong in every sense. Not omg-I-what-did-I-smoke? strong, but pretty darn strong. I'd put it roughly up there with Irish Flake.

Definitely stronger than most burley based blends on the market. Not all, but most.

Pschoppy48 likes this.
  9. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I have come to a conclusion. I have some 5100 with maybe 3 bowls gone. It is too mild for me. If anyone is interested in this blend..PM me. I hate to waste it.

10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Add a little blending perique to it that will kick it up a notch.

Capt and GlassSculptor like this.
  11. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Gawith Hoggarth Bright CR flake.

12. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

5100 is gone. Thanks for all the responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.