Mc C Va's

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by blackdog, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackdog

blackdog Member

I've noticed alot of comments on mcclelland's 5100 virginia with good reviews but not much talk on their tins. Just curious why that was. I've only used their mixture no. 1 myself. Going to order some in the near future and maybe give something new a shot with my usual.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I think a lot of guys buy the bulk 5100 because it's good, easy to find, and not real expensive.

I buy tins because in Canada there is no savings really to buy bulk, because all you are paying is tax anyhow. The various virginias I've had from McClelland have all been good. I don't especially appreciate the sort of heavy broken flake that most of the blends are, but I just break it up and dry it out a bit.

I like McClelland virginias more than any other brand - sweeter, deeper, yummier.

3. blackdog

blackdog Member

There are so many to try from them, kinda makes your head spin. I've never tried any of their blends I didnt like, just not real familiar with their va.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I like Tudor Castle and Virginia Woods a helluva lot. Neither is a pure VA by any stretch but I get a pretty severe hankering for both once in awhile.

5. Stoked

Stoked Member

Check out McC #22 VA. It's a pure VA flake that is deep and sweet, just like Sas said. It's like a good steak, whereas 5100 is like good hamburger.

6. blackdog

blackdog Member

I might just do that. It appears the price may be comparable also. I have to order everything where I live too so I have to make it worth the shipping. What you are saying then is 5100 is an all day smoke and #22 is more of a evening?

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Blackwoods Flake and yes, Tudor Castle, are very good. 5100 is pretty damned tasty as well. I have Aurora at the house too, but find it lacking when compared to it's sibling Blackwoods...age may help? I haven't gone through the McC catalog by any means, but if your not looking for a sock to the chops nicotine wise, McClelland is the house to beat...by price point, and availability.

Not to answer for Stoked, but your assessment above sounds reasonable. I have used 5100 as an all dayer with grinning results. The cost of a tin makes that less likely.

8. alfbacca

alfbacca Member

Granted I've never tried 5100 and I'm still pretty new to pipe smoking but I bought a tin of McClelland Rich Virginia last week and I'm really enjoying it. It starts off with a nice sweetness that deepens into a nice rich flavor that I still can't seem to put my finger on it yet. Overall a nice smooth smoke.

9. CBR

CBR Member

What's the status on Blackwoods Flake? Seems out of stock at 4noggins and SP. I would like to give it a shot and am hoping it's not discontinued

10. blackdog

blackdog Member

That was on my list to try also, although I hear it is prone to be hard to keep lit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.