McBaren Vanilla Cream Review

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by xnowimcoolx, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xnowimcoolx

xnowimcoolx Member

My first review, I'm a newbie to pipe so please forgive the limited perspective. This was smoked in a Brigham Mountaineer - my only pipe.

Vanilla Cream is a ribbon cut Virginia and Black Cavendish tobacco cased with vanilla flavor. When I opened the tin it may have been bordering on too moist and the smell was very strong. I've read elsewhere that it smells like "vanilla compost", I wouldn't go that far but there is a sort of thick fruity smell when the tobacco is in the tin.

I used what I call the "Lazy Frank" to fill my bowl (gravity fill, push in an addition good-sized pinch by rolling thumbs over the bowl - not being concerned with Franks technique or "side pressure" - thus "Lazy" - works very well for me)

The flavors that come off the char light are very very good. The vanilla really does take a leading role in the char light and is accented very well by the tobacco.

When the real light comes it gets a bit tricky, this blend is a fire-cracker! It burns hot very fast and stays hot for a long time, and when it gets hot, it gets peppery and bites!! The best real light for this blend is closer to what I would do for a re-light: a couple quick, short draws.

When the smoke is cool the vanilla settles into the background giving this full bodied blend a really smooth taste. The room note is probably my favorite of all the tobaccos that I have tried and here again, the vanilla really comes through like a champ! It's kind of a smokey, mild version of the tin note, very nice. This is meant for a relaxing smoke, a bowl can last me up to an hour and a half. Vanilla Cream demands the patience and time of being smoked at the edges of going out because it is an unforgiving and ruthless blend; and this is my main problem with it. If it gets too hot, it's over, my mouth gets drenched in peppery tasting smoke and when it finally cools down that sweet smoke is masked by the peppery taste that's already in my mouth. This is especially frustrating for a newcomer to pipe smoking as I'm still learning.

Despite this, when paced right and smoked cool throughout this can be one of the most relaxing smokes, especially when one gets wisps of the room note in between sips.

Rating: Cautiously but Enthusiastically Recommended.

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this blend.

2. cellophane

cellophane Member

Nice review =)

I picked some up over the weekend and it made my eyes and sinuses feel like they were on fire. Not sure if I was just going too fast or if there is something to the blend. It smells good and I thought tasted pretty good - but the burning... I need to give it a few more goes before I know for certain.

3. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

I hear this often about this blend, but for me it is in my top five that i smoke and I find it cool smoking and silky. I never have it bite or get hot, ever! I love the stuff. Must be different body chemistry.

4. cellophane

cellophane Member

Had 1/2 a bowl (DGT for the trip home!) on the way to work today in a different pipe (cob) and it was smooth as silk. :dunno:

I didn't get much vanilla from it, but it was definately creamy and smooth.

5. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I like the Vanilla Cream flake. I have never tried the ribbon cut, but some say it has a little different character.

The flake has a nice vanilla aroma, but I don't get too much vanilla in the smoke - a little, but not much. It never wanted to bite. It is a nice smoke that tastes like tobacco and with a room aroma that anyone likes.

6. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

I just tryed a bowl of this in my waldort oom paul, and I didnt get any vanilla smell or taste, I got a peppery taste and smell there was a small sweet taste but I would'nt say vanilla, I did smoke a big bowl of it maybe I should have tryed a smaller bowl of it. I liked it but I did'nt get the smell and taste every one says there getting or what its supose to taste like. I'll probley try one more small bowl of it. and pass it on down the road if it dont settle down like every one says it can.

7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Wow, i smoke this a lot and I find it cool, bite free and I taste the Vanilla intersperced with the good VA in the mix. Send all unwanted to me as I smoke a lot of it.

8. ichabod

ichabod Member

I just got a tin in the mail today. I picked some up when I ordered a tub of carter hall just to give it a whirl. I smoked less than half a bowl during my lunch break and...it was really nice. It didn't bite, I didn't get the pepper taste...although I will admit, I am coming off of a bad cold and maybe my taste buds are a bit off at the moment. Still pretty congested and all of that but I just couldn't wait.

Just from that quick little bit I am already thinking that I will continue to buy this stuff. Really smooth, creamy, silky (perfect words that were used before), great flavor, not overbearing, great aroma...but again, keep in mind I have a cold at the moment so...once I'm all cleared up that may change.

9. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Your mind won't change, it will just be better to you.

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Very nice review!

My thoughts are that I personally don't care for it but I was never bitten by it, either. I've smoked some Mac B blends that liked to nip but this wasn't one of them. My theory (unproven) is that no tobacco is inherently "bitey" but some of them may disagree with our body chemistry and produce bite... and of course, most tobaccos smoked too fast will bite. So perhaps this one is simply close to the edge of your particular body chemistry's tolerance.

I've told this story so many times, please forgive if you've read it before. But Mac B's Club Blend bites me if I simply load my pipe and stick it in my mouth. I don't even need to light it. That's obviously not the tobacco's fault. Something in it doesn't agree with me, while it agrees with many other smokers.

11. ichabod

ichabod Member

Well, I smoked a while bowl of it last night and my wife told had to ask "which one is that!? It smells really really good!" She told me that has found her favorite that for me to smoke.

12. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

I used to smoke a fair amount of this back in the days when you could smoke at a bar. If I had a bowlfull with a Jack and coke I would flashback to my late twenties. Never failed to have a positive comment on the roomnote. Now I keep some Vanillia Flake on hand, a little more natural tobacco flavour comes through in my opinion and I'm usually the only one in the room these days.

13. justMike

justMike Member

I've been smoking the flake version of this for the past few weeks now and, hand on heart, can honestly say it's among the most user friendly flakes I've tried. Loading a bowl on the hoof is a breeze; fold, stuff, twist and light... beautiful smoke while walking the last mile or so to work... Similarly, a half flake in my Belgique serves to tide me over through tea-breaks... smooth, cool, with just the right amount of Vit N to clear the cobwebs; the girlies love the smell too with is pretty cool...

I bought another 5 tins on the strength of the first day smoking it... I doubt it'll be the last time I repeat the order..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.