1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

McC 110 Tounge Bite

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by wtagye, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtagye

wtagye Member

I really enjoy the flavor and aroma of McClelland 110 but it really seems to bite up the tounge and roof of my mouth. Is this common? Would drying it out a bit prior to smoking help? Thanks for the input.

2. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Drying would help, but only because it would allow you to slow down while still keeping it lit. Tongue bite always comes down to pace IMO.

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

There is the small possibility that your body chemistry and the tobacco's chemistry don't agree with each other. I wouldn't automatically assume it, particularly if you enjoy that blend. So yeah, dry it a smidge, and smoke it slower.

4. wtagye

wtagye Member

I probrably due tend to smok it too fast just due to my enjoyment of it. I will try to slow down, and report back with results.

Thanks.

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'll assume it comes as broken flake, as most McC do. In this case you might break it up real good before you fill the pipe too. More dry, more loose, smoke slower.... solves just about everything.

6. wtagye

wtagye Member

Sounds good Sas. I will try that.

7. Charring Light

Charring Light Member

I find aromatics tend to bite more than others. At the first onset of tongue bite I stop smoking and let the pipe go out and cool down. While the pipe cools I rinse my mouth out with some cranberry juice followed by a rinse with water. Sounds silly, but it works. Then I go back to smoking. You should also pace yourself while smoking. A bowlful should take at least an hour on average to smoke fully.

8. Gradog

Gradog Member

Va always bites me. I just stay away from any blends that use it. I like it but it don't like me. I now smoke burly. C&D Pegasus with a little bit of Bayou Morning thrown in. Plenty of flavor no bite. :thumbsu:

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

McClelland 110 (Just Plain Nut) is a slightly aromatic burley blend, not a Va. I love the taste of burley, but can't smoke it due to a body chemistry problem...burley bites the hell out of me. May be the same with you. I like to mix 110 with McClelland 5100...50/50. Tames the bite and allows me to taste the nutty flavor. Give it a try.......

10. wtagye

wtagye Member

All great responses, thanks.

Ted,
    I am going to look into that mix. I finished off the sample you had sent me but I am really considering getting more. The stuff has a fantastic taste and room note. Let me know if you are interested in another trade.

11. wtagye

wtagye Member

So I think there is a bit more going on than just poor technique. Last night I tried the 50/50 5100/110 mix sugested above after I found a small ammount left from my newbie sampler. I had not smoked in several days and I had just finished a bowl Dunhil Flake with no problem. First puff brought joy and that fantastic taste of 110, second puff a tingling in small patches of my tounge and the roof of my mouth. I tried to hang in there but after about a dozen puffs it felt like I had burnt my tounge and the roof of my mouth. This is such a dissapointment because I really do like 110.
    Oh well, live and learn.

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I'm with you amigo....there's some that just don't cut it for me too....good thing there are so many we *CAN* smoke...huh?

Like "they" say...Smoke what you like and LIKE what you smoke......... :thumbsu:

13. wtagye

wtagye Member

I hear ya on that one T. It is just a shame, since the 110 was fighting for the #1 spot with Evening Stroll. Probrably the first blend that has blown me away with flavor.

On a different note, I had some FM in a briar and I really enjoyed it. Much more enjoyable than in a cob, at least for me. I believe tonight will be a dip into some FMOTB in my Pete. I am already counting the hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.