Mcc 5100 Red Cake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nobler son, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nobler son

nobler son Member

Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I've been interested in trying Virginia blends lately. Unfortunately, all the tinned tabacs seem to be sold out--everywhere. So, while looking across bulk blends, I found Red Cake by McClelland. It looks positively delicious. Would anyone recommend it?

Also, what are some other good Virginia blends? Or even Va/Per?

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

McClelland’s Red Cake is an excellent introduction into Virginia tobaccos and I highly recommend! :D I would also recommend you try the McClelland bulk blends #2010 Classic Virginia and #2015 Virginia Flake with perique. :bing:

3. Legend

Legend Member

5100 is a great tobacco, my only regret is not ordering more! It is great on it's own, sweet, no bite for me. The best thing about it is that it is a great mixing tobacco. I've found it is great w/ aromatics.

4. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I just got my first batch of Red Cake last week, all my go to VAs were out of stock, and while its not my favorite its pretty damn tasty and a good baseline VA. I like SG FVF and Germain's Brown Flake better, but Red Cake is miles above a lot of others.

5. Marc

Marc Active Member

Deckard, seeing how you like FVF and Brown Flake which are stoved Virginias you might want to try McClelland’s Blackwoods Flake and Dark Star.

6. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

+1 for 5100. I've been stocking up on this over the last 2 motnhs for aging. I've put about 2 lbs. away in jars and will probably add at least another lb. in the near future. Very good VA and can't beat the price for bulk.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I finally got around to picking up a couple ozs. each of 5100 and 5105 Friday. 5100 is good stuff. I say this nursing the remains of the flu, too. 5105 doesn't seem to be near as tasty, at least not til about midbowl. 5105 is stoved, so I thought it would give me a notion of what that tastes like. If my hampered tastebuds are even close to working, I'd say you can't go wrong with 5100. As a plus, they're cheap, available, and I didn't get tongue bite from them, so enjoy!

-Kyle

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

Kyle, try blending them together. I have a friend who blends 5100 and 5105 together, can't remember the ratio he uses but he loves his blend of 5100 and 5105 he conjures up. :D

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I think the 5100's going to be next on my TAD list. :D

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

You won't regret this purchase, it's an oustnding Viriginia tobacco and ideal for hot and humid summer smoking. I smoke this venerable tobacco year round. Highly recommended for any pipe, anysize, anytime! [​IMG]

11. nobler son

nobler son Member

Thanks, everybody. I'm definitely going to make it a purchase.

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

I really think you will enjoy this tobacco, it will open up a whole new world of tobacco to you! :D

13. Broham

Broham Member

I mix 5100 50/50 with McClellands 110(just plain nut, I think), and it's a great smoke. I have some that's about 3 yrs old, and it's even better.

14. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

So far have ordered two pounds of 5100 sense I tried it. I love this Virginian smoke. It will be my main cellar Virginia baccy.

15. yinyang

Will do! I think 2 to 1 5100-5105, if only cuz I know which one I like more(at this moment)...that said, I may wait until I'm sure I'm tasting right again. Smoking 5100 in my Kirsten(again)as I write this...good, good stuff.

16. Marc

Marc Active Member

Glad you’re enjoying 5100, it's a very versatile base tobacco for blending. Experiment, have some fun blending!

17. yinyang

Thanks, Marc! Looks like Mason jars will end up a subset of TAD.

18. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Thank goodness spring gardening season is here. The supply of canning jars is real good right now. I bought 4 cases of jars last week.

19. Marc

Marc Active Member

I buy Red Cake by the pounds but never seem to age any; it goes that fast around here! [​IMG]

20. willzyx1980

willzyx1980 Member

5100 and 2015 are both outstanding virginias.

I also really like Ashton's Gold Rush. You have to smoke it slowly, but it's got a great golden virginia flavor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.