McCelland Wilderness - is that aroma the Latakia?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by rogersab1223, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogersab1223

rogersab1223 Member

Hey guys -

I bought a tin of McCelland Wilderness on the glowing recommendation of another customer at my local B&M. Having never dabbled in Latakia and other "exotics" (drama, orientals, etc.), I'm not exactly sure what it is that I'm smelling and tasting.

Immediately upon cracking the tin, I get a "sharpness" - almost leathery. It tastes exactly like it smells, which is unusual, at least for me. I haven't decided yet if I like the aroma and taste yet or not. It's certainly different from what I'm used to, not at all unpleasant, just different. Is that the Latakia or something else? It's not something my wife would be particularly be happy about - she definitely likes the fruitier and vanillaier aromatics wrt room note.

All that aside, it was the nicest, most well behaved burn I've smoked recently. Even burning, not too slow, not too fast, smooth, cool, seemed very high quality... I certainly DO like that aspect of it.

Andy

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Yup, Latakia and oriental is what you are likely picking up. The oriental leaf gives off an incense type of spicy smell, the latakia (Syrian, in this case), a type of wettened leather scent. Wilderness has enough of both, as I think I recall, that you will notice them.

I didn't care much for Wilderness, BTW, but be warned that most Latakia blends have a vaguely similar smell about them. If you like it, there is a whole wide world of tobacco to explore.

3. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Yes,it's the lat. Latakia comes in two varieties : Syrian, which does have a leathery smell, and Cyprian, which has a Smokey campfire smell. Some perfer one over the other but I like them both. If you like Wilderness, you'll probably also like Legends which is blended by the same person.

I don't know of any wife that appreciates the smell of burning Latakia -- better to take it outside and maintain the peace.

4. rogersab1223

rogersab1223 Member

Yeah - maintaining the peace in my house is always smoking outside. One day we'll have a mansion in which will be a study and I'll smoke to my heart's content. Until then, I have a deck, patio and garage, which is more options than most men.

My problem with the smell is my beard. I'm in a "mountain man" phase right now and tend to carry the smell of whatever I've been smoking... Probably another topic, but what do other bearded smokers do?

5. yinyang

I've a beard, and actually like the smell of Latakia lingering in it. My weapon of choice is Penzance (Cyprian Lat). If you mean what do you do to avoid the missus' ire in smelling like it....uh, tell her you're a man, and there are worse smells you can come up with that linger? :)

6. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Short of stuffing your beard into a Ziploc a la "lunch lady " showering is probably your only recourse. :)

7. rogersab1223

rogersab1223 Member

Yeah, I've taken to shampooing the beard...

8. yinyang

Slippery slope brother...next the better half will require you to bathe. Yuck! :)

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

Yinyang, that blend has both Syrian and Cyprian latakia, along with some very good orientals like drama and yenidje and red virginia, which adds sweetness, richness and strenght to the blend. This blend was also created by Fred Hanna.

10. yinyang

Still a snoozefest, Marc. (My opinion). I have a tin of Legends to try yet, and with it's dominate Cyprian component, I'm guessing I'll like it better. I'm just not a Lat hound, I reckon...especially with Syrian. That said, I know better than to warn people off of Wilderness, I'm just being obstinate in my public view of it. Actually, I believe I'm in the minority in thinking it meh.

11. Marc

Marc Active Member

I am not a Latikia fan either, but enjoy the taste of Syrian over Cyprian, but both of these blends were the work of Fred Hanna and are loved by the Latakia junkies.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.